AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
I also watched the Superbit version of the Fifth Element. Since the standard version was my main reference DVD, I am very familiar with it.

Overall I felt the superbit made an already excellent DVD transfer even better.

The picture was sharper, fewer artifacts and better shadow detail. However, IMHO it was the audio track that made the biggest improvement. The 5.1 track on the superbit version is fantastic.

I HATE to buy the same movie twice, but in this case it was worth it. I hope many more titles come out in Superbit. Reed.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well, I watched my new Superbit Fifth Element DVD many times now and I have to say that I am

impressed.

It is the best looking that I have seen this movie so far, and that means a lot because the regular version looks so good already.

But before I start gushing too much I have to state that for most people they may not see ANY improvement in picture quality, especially with a tube TV and a regular DVD player.

But on my setup (FPTV and HTPC) with the picture blown up big, the quality improvement was readily apparent and sets this disc as a must have to show off big screen HTs, as the picture quality looks very close to HD.

Also the DTS was similarly better, but again because the original DD 5.1 audio mix was so good, the difference would mostly be missed on an normal A/V setup.

So if you have a FPTV or DTV RPTV with a PS-DVD or HTPC, and DTS capability RUN to get this new Superbit DVD for $20.

And if the above list of technical alphabet soup makes no sense to you, then the regular DVD will be just fine for your setup as it already looks and sounds great, and it now is available at about half the original cost.

-Dean.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of people who own and regularly play "The Fifth Element" actually think it is a good movie?

Scott

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i originally bought this about 2 months ago to view as reference material on my brand spankin' new LT150. i'd never seen the movie, but saw a shop demoing it with a dreamvision. i thought it looked like crap ( the DV pj) so i picked it up to prove my innate purchasing superiority. well the diva sequence didn't look so hot on my set up either. most of the movie looked great, but for some reason this posed problems. the area around her figure really showed off the pixel structure. defocusing helped but a little bit. i was hoping the superbit would take care of this, and while its much improved, its still not perfect (is this a case where the Isco II would help smooth this out?).

i finally sat down and watched the whole movie a few days ago and had a pleasant time. i liked the fact it had few pretentions beyond just being a fun ride, without being condescendingly stupid (tpm anyone?).

on the whole i thought the superbit was fantastic, but afterwards popped in the original and felt like i may have benefited from a placebo effect.

While threads in the software forum have screencaps to support the increased horizontal res, they looked pretty close to my eyes in many scenes.

I'll agree that the DTS track blew away the dd on the first release though-cleaner with better seperation, reason alone to upgrade.

maye i really do need an HTPC to squeeze every last drop out of a title like this, but i think a lens would help too.

(trying to justify this thread being in the wrong forum ;) )

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bplemmons
Has anyone viewed one of the new superbit DVD's yet? I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone here mention them yet. If you don't know what it is check out this link.....
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/307039p1.html

Bill
This is water under the bridge, there were all kind of discussions about them I have watched all of them with a HPTC in analog, in digital using progressive scan DVD player didn't see much difference between superbit and non superbit. CTHdragon couldn't watch in English dub, Desperado was the best transfer of all to me. I will stick to the regular DVD from now on.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
But on my setup (FPTV and HTPC) with the picture blown up big, the quality improvement was readily apparent and sets this disc as a must have to show off big screen HTs, as the picture quality looks very close to HD.
Very close to HD?

Give me a break. :)

It's not even close to 'image constrained HD' much less 'true HD'.

Frank

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I bought my first superbit yesterday. Desperado. I didn't see the original dvd and haven't checked out this one yet but I wanted at least one superbit to compare against. On new releases I probably will still go with the one with all the supliments rather than a SB version. If they revist old ones that really don't have great extras or none at all then I'll buy the SB. I don't think I will replace any that I have now though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.