AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Barco 1209/2. I am running DVD's through an old Faroudja VP400a from a Pioneer Elite 47ai. My question is since I am quadupling the signal would I get that much of a different picture with a superbit DVD vs. a regular DVD?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Superbit DVDs are nothing more than a gimmick. The idea is to have a generally higher MPEG bit rate than the original release, thereby filling the DVD with just the video and 1 sound track, and getting (hopefully) less compression artifacts.

Some superbit releases have worse image quality than non-superbit DVDs from another studio (different movie). Example: Lord of the Rings doesn't have a Superbit edition, but has an image quality that certainly rivels the Superbit Fifth Element DVD.

In general, the superbit edition of any given movie has a better image quality due to less compression, and that should show up on screen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I won't but into the superbit hype for now. I have seen alot of posts from people bashing quadrupling a 480p signal...that it makes the images too smooth. I got to tell you, I am no pro, but I see no obvious flaws watching DVD's at 960p.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I only buy into the superbit hype in that if I am looking for a movie, and I see both normal and superbit editions next to each other on the shelf, I'll buy the superbit edition. If I already own the movie in non-superbit form, I don't bother with the superbit version. If I get the superbit version, I don't get the regular one. :)

I'm not one who watches much of the extra features on a DVD usually, so missing them isn't a bid deal to me. But I certainly wouldn't purchase a DVD again just to get the superbit version. Same with T2 Extreme Edition or whatever it was recently.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I watched the Lord of the Rings 2 towers with lots of anticipation for great image Q. however, I felt the transfer was average at best. Some nice outdoor shots here and there but inconsistent throughout. So I don't understand the hype. On other hand I found Gladiator an outstanding transfer. I also think compression rate is a key to picture quality. I have seen a few superbits and found the picture seems equivalent to an average HD transfer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ArtisTech

I agree with you. I see little to no difference in superbit. I did'nt know if quadrupling the signal nullified alot of the advantages to superbit or if in fact the advantage was so small that it was not worth fooling with. I picked up the new T2 and was not totally impressed.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Personally If I was going out to buy a movie and I had a choice b/w SB and non SB, I'd be foolish to choose the non SB.

Would I repurchace. Doubt it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.