AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have held back on buying any Superbit titles until I was front projection ready. Now that I am, please give me some suggestions for the best image quality Superbit titles. I already have Mask of Zorro, Panic Room and Lawrence of Arabia. Please tell me why you chose a particular title. PS: I do plan to pick up Starship Troopers as a friend let me borrow his and I think it looks and sounds great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well Starship Troopers is something you should have, it looks and sound terrific.

Other titles that stand out are Vertical Limit , Desperado , The Fifth Element , Triple X and The Patriot.

They all look very good on Superbit especially Vertical Limit and Desperado look even beter than their Special Edition counterparts.

If you can play region 02 you should try Gladiator , Jurassic Park 1 and 2 , Jumanji and Godzilla.

The upcoming Spider-Man should be nice to have to :D

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cinedave
...Now that I am, please give me some suggestions for the best image quality Superbit titles....
Why limit yourself to Sony titles when there are equal to or better PQ DVDs by other studios. :confused: Sounds like you are suffering from the all to common SuperBit brain washed disease.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
william do tell...

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
The Fifth Element SB has been THE reference disc for years now. I personally love the movie, and if you do too, it's a must have.
Way too much EE like all Sony 2.35 titles to be "THE reference disc". If you want a referance Sony SB title you must pick a 1.85 film like Hollow Man.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Even tho its not Superbit, I thought Final Destination 2 looked and sounded fantastic. I wish more studios would release movies of this calibre.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I second the notion on The Fifth Element: great looking DVD. I use it to show off my system.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have been trying to complete my superbit collection and have most of them. The ones that get highest marks for sound and picture quality are Hollowman, Vertical Limit, 5th Element, and Starship Troopers. Any of there titles will blow you away in the audio deptartment, and although many say that 5th Element has too much EE, they all look great on my 106" screen. I would have to give the nod to Hollowman and Vertical Limit as the all out best looking DVD's in the SB category. Although, dont forget that there are many other non-SB titles that look as good or better. I just watched Fight Club last week for the first time in a couple years, and WOW, I can still not get over the great sound and pq on this one, plus I have seen it in a lot of bargain bins. Pick it up if you want another good reference quality title.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
The Fifth Element looks good on superbit, but does have a bit of EE but not as bad as the older version! Ditto for Mask of Zorro. Bram Stokers Dracula again looks better than the original, but is still grainy and soft in some scenes. Lawrence of Arabia superbit actually has more EE from what I saw but the colors are more alive. I could not see any differences in The Patriot. Vertical Limit and Hollow man look great.

As William mentioned there are other DVDs that look like reference quality but are not from Sony/Columbia Tri Star so do not get the "superbit" title. DVDs like Training Day, Star Wars Episode II, Toy Story II, Rules of Engagement, Monster's Inc., Brotherhood of the Wolf...etc all look great on my 106in screen with my Sharp Z10000 and Bravo D1 setup! Very close to HD quality.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Alas, I would love to get a D-Theater machine, but my wife would lose it. She has been pretty understanding already, she has let me spend over $15,000 in the past year, not counting DVD's so I wont force the issue, but in the new year I plan to update to a HD satellite reciever, and would like to get a HD-VHS deck as well. The only hi-def I have now is what I can download. :(

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wedlock
If you can play region 02 you should try Gladiator , Jurassic Park 1 and 2 , Jumanji and Godzilla.
If you can play region 3, you might want to try Black Hawk Down Superbit Deluxe. (I do not know how its PQ/SQ compares with that of the R1 Deluxe version, though.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I own that Black Hawk Down Superbit Deluxe edition from R3 and I realy enjoyed this dvd.

It looks great and the DTS track is , in my opinion, better than the dolby counterpart.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If you're a fan of Gattaca, then the Superbit version is the one to have. Although it's not the greatest Superbit title, the a/v quality is infinitely better than the previous DVD release.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.