AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i would express my extreme happiness on seeing a superbit dvd on a Projector for the first time , All i can say is WOW !

Its like comparing Video to Dvd,

I watched the fith element in superbit and it made the sharp z90 look better than the infocus 5700 on the normal version dvd , obviously when we played the superbit on the 5700 then it showed its superiority again , but its amazing how much difference it can make on a big screen.

Ive only seen the normal fifth element on the ht1000 which i plan to buy next month and it looked great , but i cant wait to see what superbit looks like on the ht1000

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Imagine hd-dvd with mpeg-4 like compression at higher bit rates. How good will that look?

I looking forward to watchin Lawrence of Arabia in superbit in a couple of weeks. The picture source matters alot.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I never noticed any much difference with Superbit when watching it with my CRT projectors. But yesterday I watched 5th Element Superbit with my HT1000 and noticed quite a lot of improvement, crumpet. I agree,

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
ok, now I am going to have to go to Circuit City. got to go bye.......

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crumpet
...Its like comparing Video to Dvd,...
SuperBit IS a DVD.:confused: It always amazes me how people fall for Sony's marketing hype. Sure Sony does go the extra mile on there SB titles (although too much EE is applied to the 2.35 titles), but almost all other studios have DVD titles that equal or exceed Sony's SB line in PQ.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
The only thing I hate about superbit is the EE. Why cant they leave that off.

Yes it is a sharp transfer but its also artificially sharpened so with the good come along the bad.

If you want to see something done right that blow away the superbits get any one of the new Extreme dvds. No EE with plenty of extra smooth clean detail, high bitrate. YOu will never buy another superbit again.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
William,

Are you saying that if I compare my 5th Element Superbit to the standard version and I see much difference then it's all in my mind?

Bob
What he's saying is that there are plenty of non-Superbit DVDs that look just as good as--and often better than--the Superbit line.

All Superbit means is that they've (theoretically) maximized the bit rate by dumping the extras and using all the space on the disc for the movie. Plenty of studios already do this by default. See the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring or Warner's Insomia for examples of nearly flawless video. Sony/Columbia is just the first to give it a brand name and try to squeeze a few extra bucks out of consumers.

Don't get me wrong. Superbit DVDs usually look very good, but there's nothing magical about the process. The reason the Superbit 5th Element looks better than the original is because the original wasn't done as well as it could have been.

If Sony/Columbia did it right in the first place, there would be no need for Superbit. There is nothing technically superior about it. It's a standard DVD. They just use the few extra bits they should've used to begin with, give it a slick case, and add $5 or $10 to the price.

·
Registered
22,300 Posts
Try Men In Black II Superbit - excellent picture on the HT1000. I don't think that Superbit is hype only - a higher bit rate and a better transfer definetly helps. You are right William - some non Superbit DVD's do look great. However, some look like crap. I would say that " Superbit " is more a " picture quality guarantee " at a higher price. I don't mind paying - the disappointment of a crappy dvd picture isn't worth saving $ 10.00! Especially when some of us have $ 5,000 - $ 7,000 invested in our home theater setups

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
No, it just means they're doing the same thing many others are doing. You think Columbia has a patent on maximizing bitrate?

Many seem to think that Superbit involves some special process that's unique to the line. It doesn't.

And as Alan mentions, ALL Superbit titles have at least a little bit of EE to make them appear sharper. I don't consider this technical superiority.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I always thought that some DVD's were created with lesser bitrates was to fill the disc with other extras or have both widescreen and pan and scan formats on the same side of the disc, etc. I can't imagine it would be significantly cheaper to encode them at a lower bit rate if you are not going to have the "extras".

Bob

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Interesting, I purchased a number of Superbit DVDs and was all excited about seeing them on my Hitachi 5500. To be honest, I haven't noticed a difference between the superbit 5th Element and the original...

·
Registered
22,300 Posts
Alan, where do you find Extreme DVD's? Is T2 the only one out so far ( found that at Amazon )? A Google search produced X rated " extreme " dvd's - not exactly what you had in mind I think?

If Superbit starts a competitive trend toward better DVD transfers and better picture and audio quality, we all win!

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
A Google search produced X rated " extreme " dvd's - not exactly what you had in mind I think?
yeah, I don't that's quite the added 'Enhancement' he was talking about! ;)

But, then again, he does have a kinda' twisted smile in his pic.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
William,

Are you saying that if I compare my 5th Element Superbit to the standard version and I see much difference then it's all in my mind?

Bob
Did you read my post? I guess not. :confused: TFE original and TFE SB are both Sony titles. I said all other studios (other studios meaning NOT a Sony title) have DVD titles that equal or exceed Sony's SB line in PQ.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Compare TFE Superbit to Training Day. IMO Training Day is a superior picture, is not superbit and is released thru Warner Bros.

I also just purchased the SB version of Legends of the Fall. One of my all time favorite flicks. The transfer is much softer than the previous non superbit release. Very dissapointing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.