AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done a comparison to see if there is a difference in the scaler output when fed a regular DVD versus a superbit DVD?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree, I did a comparision with the Fifth Element and I found the supoerbit to be slightly sharper

JohnBoy:)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I did a A/B using a Teranex and a V1X and was shocked at the difference.

Most people are reporting a -slight- difference. This just isn't true, its a big difference.

They all looked better in the same way. It was interesting.

Clearly there was more to the post process on these DVD's then to just turn up the bit rate.

I was really expecting a -slight- difference, NOPE..

I suppose you could judge a system by just how much of a difference you see.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Chris, the reason you see the big difference is that a LPF is used on the originals. At low bit rates the fine detail causes compression artficats like I-Frame pulsing. Now that they have the extra bits in the bucket, they can and do remove the LPF.

Most HD cameras also have a LPF otherwise MPEG would freak out.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Stacey,

You never really spell out what LPF is. I'm guessing you mean Low Pass Filter?

Regards,

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Sonys new super bit transfers are said to be achieved by eliminating all the special features normally found on most DVD transfers and using this extra space for a higher bit rate of 7.7 Mbps as opposed to the usual 3.7Mbps.Also all discs will have DTS as well as Dolby digital soundtracks utilizing non coasting MPEG bit rates on quilter scenes.Just ordered a copy of the new release of the Fifth Element and will let you know but the difference should be quite obvious in both video and audio quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.