AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the praise on the forum I've been anxious to see one of the high light output LCD's perform.

Tomorrow I'm going to get the chance to compare an Eiki

LC-X984 (Sanyo x18 clone) to my LT150.

I would like to do this the right way so would appreciate any advice on how to optimize the projector's settings. I'll be using both a High Power and a matte screen to make this comparison.

Thanks,

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Robert:

At first I thought you were looking for highly intelligent owners of LCDs so I jumped right in! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif But then I realized you were talking about the projector! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Still, I'll take a shot at it. Settings are going to depend a lot on the screen. The XP18N is actually not quite as bright as the 21 because it doesn't have MLA. But I would not use a hi-power screen on the Sanyo. You just won't like the black level.

You didn't say whether you would be inputting via the video inputs (component, svideo) or VGA cable. Both give a lot of flexibility in setting color.

You also didn't indicate whether or not you're using a video processor. It seems a number of us have experienced excess green with Quadscans. The solution is very easy--knock the green down 3-4 ticks.

In general, I'd start with the defaults and then knock the individual settings for red, green and blue up and down until you get the intensity and hue you want. I'd decrease sharpness maybe 4-5 ticks. I'd use contrast and brightness to optimize black level, balancing it against brightness until the best compromise is reached.

The projector is really easy to manipulate and you'll find it very easy to get to optimal settings quickly.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Dan

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much, Dan.

I'll be limited to using a PS DVD player and my XGA laptop which plays DVD with a hardware decoder card.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
842 Posts
This is my opinion only. As owner of a 3000 lumens and a 2200 lumens a also previous owner of a 2500 lumens I personally consider a 3000 lumens a perfect brightness PJ for HT. there is a big difference between a 2000 and 3000 but if you can go with the brightest you can afford and don't worry too much about contrast, high out put PJ gives excellent black levels as a matter of fact when a compared a sanyo 21 (conts 700.1)to Mits X400(conts 400.1) the black levels from X400 is much better, perhaps the 500 extra lummens made it possible.You will not regret getting one, good luck. Rick

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
3000 lumens, WOW. You can use this unit for headlights :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Bob, bring your Panamorph and give us a review. If it improves the screen door like it did to my NEC MT1040, it looks like some interesting things for LCDs.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ken,

Unfortunately the room I'll be in for this is too short for a Panamorph set up.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Premium Member
24,983 Posts
Bob,

"Unfortunately the room I'll be in for this is too short for a Panamorph set up."

I don't get it. The Panamorph has no net affect on throw.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Noah,

Am I wrong about that? I thought I had read that the Panamorph required a minimum throw distance? The room I was in (just got back from there) was only 11' from the rear wall to the screen.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Premium Member
24,983 Posts
Hi Bob,

Shorter than an Isco, but the same as no lens at all: The Panamorph doesn,t change the width, and the affect of the vertical compression is canceled by using the full panel height.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had my Panamorph for a couple weeks now and all I've done so far is set it in front of my LT150 for a few minutes. I haven't yet dug in to trying to get it all set up properly. I want to first figure out the best way to put the LT150 and it on the ceiling. And before I do that I need to get a screen for the projector.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
So Bob,

What's the verdict?

I still think you should have brought the Panamorph. Its not that fragile and you just got to stick it in front of the lens.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I probably should have gone ahead and tried the Panamorph, Ken (didn't know any better).

Other than a little remark I made in another thread today I've purposely refrained from offering any LT150 vs x18 opinion. All it would serve to do is make a lot of people angry at me. And what with the little screen shootout I imagine people have probably had a gut full of my opinions for one day. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood:
Other than a little remark I made in another thread today I've purposely refrained from offering any LT150 vs x18 opinion. All it would serve to do is make a lot of people angry at me.
Hey that didn't stop me from making people angry at me. Anyways I have no doubt which one you perferred. You demand black blacks and the LT150 is superior to the Sanyos in that regard. The LT150 does give a more cinema appearance, but I just can't get the bright colors out of mine.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Different people have different likes and dislikes. My dislike was the washed out image I've had all afternoon with my pitifully weak projector. I must have had a 500 lux ambient. Thank God the eye is very good at seeing differences.

Right now the image looks great. No ambient.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Just knock the green drive down to about 24 or 25, and maybe the blue to 31. Otherwise, just sit back and ogle.

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.