AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, first post. I just got deployed within the US and one of the guys here is a big audiophile. He recommended that i do my own research and see if i really want to dive into this world. His home setup is amazing which got me interested initially and his basement is full of unused audiophile quality equipment because he never passes up a deal. He brought emotiva 6s bookshelves here with him and i fell even deeper in love. I'm looking to make my first purchase and I need it to be essentially portable and have great customer service plus, act as an accent piece to my home theater when i get home.

I have a day or so to take advantage of a brand new in the box Def Tech supercube 2000 for $250. I want to keep the budget low on my first buy because I have a whole setup in mind already when I get home.

SO, is the SC2000 worth 250$? Ive read only good things of their customer service. What do you guys think about the sc2000 as a suplemental "sub"

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
SuperCube 2000
- 7-1/2" woofer + two 7-1/2" passive radiators
- 650 "mystery" watts
- 20-200Hz +/-?dB

$250 for a new-in-box unit seems reasonable.

Personally, I'd spend $499 on an SVS SB-1000 or, better yet, a PB-1000. The cost of shipping is included, as is the cost of return shipping within 45 days. If you like it, you're set; if you don't, the in-home demo costs you $0.

-- Edit --
Another option is to try to snag a Premier Acoustic PA-150 for $400 or less. (Retail is $499, but it can reportedly be had at a discounted price.) It won't give you the extension of the PB-1000, but it will provide more overall output.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You can sell it used for that price after you try it. I would grab it and give it a go.

Just don't expect too much out of it. I have one sitting in storage and while it's performance is pretty impressive for it's size, it leaves a lot to be desired in the world of HT.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally, I'd spend $499 on an SVS SB-1000 or, better yet, a PB-1000. The cost of shipping is included, as is the cost of return shipping within 45 days. If you like it, you're set; if you don't, the in-home demo costs you $0.
+1, The SVS PB-1000 is worth the added cost for HT and as stated above if you try it out and don't like it SVS will pay to ship it back to them no questions asked.

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
SO, is the SC2000 worth 250$? Ive read only good things of their customer service. What do you guys think about the sc2000 as a suplemental "sub"
In a small room and used mostly for music and if you really need something that small it would be OK for the price.

At that price though you can get something like a PA-120 or various Bic subs that will have more output for the $$$.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In a small room and used mostly for music and if you really need something that small it would be OK for the price.

At that price though you can get something like a PA-120 or various Bic subs that will have more output for the $$$.
First off, you guys were awesome with the quick responses I'm excited to have gotten that much feedback!
I've decided to buy it tomorrow so I'll definitely post some pics and let you know how it sounds.

Secondly, I'm going to go ahead and get a PA-120 as well, just to start building an inventory and because why not. I'm getting hooked.... 3 months ago I thought my house was just fine with a Vizio sound bar and bluetooth "sub"... Boy was I wrong.

I'm leaning toward getting 2 XS15se subs from power sound audio, or going the way of HSU when I want to spend real money. This is just a purchase so I can have something small, portable and a decent company to start out with. I'm also now looking for some bookshelves or entry level towers. Budget is going to be about 300 for the speakers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whereas my enthusiasm for the SC2000 was mediocre, the more I look into the PA-120, the more I want it. I feel like I need it in my life right bumping now. I am upset that they used to go for 200$ and now they are 300$ it still appears to be the best preforming for under 300$. I may have just been talked out of the SC2000 all together.

The PA-150 is now the same price as the SVS PB1000 so I think I would like to stick with the 300$ range before I get too ahead of myself.
I've also got two EMP TEK10i subs that a friend is giving me for 240$ total. I will have to wait to grab those until this mission is over but I'm pretty excited about having them in the rear portion of my soon to be HT. Plus my room setup is rather large so I will want 4 subs in there (I want to shake my house off it's foundation, ya know, teach it who's boss).

Since I'm just diving into the audio world, it feels a bit overwhelming. AKA my wife is going to kill me. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts