AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question - hope no one minds me asking this...

I'm told the supercube is quite a sub. However, how does it compare to the likes of AV123, Epik, HSU, etc? (i.e. the online guys).

Just want to make sure I make the right choice.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth912 /forum/post/12918896

Quick question - hope no one minds me asking this...

I'm told the supercube is quite a sub. However, how does it compare to the likes of AV123, Epik, HSU, etc? (i.e. the online guys).

Just want to make sure I make the right choice.

A couple of questions.

First, how much will the Supercube cost you?

Second, is subwoofer size a factor in your purchasing decision? If you can only take a 16" cube, for example, it'll make a big impact on what subs we can recommend.

Ok, I lied...third question: How big is your room?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

The room is big - 25 x 25 - open plan (kitchen, living room and dinning).

The super cube is on offer at the moment - supercube 1 - less than $899.

I'm not bothered about size...I just want a clean sub that won't drone on. right now I have B&W 600 series fronts but am thinking of changing them to Def 7002 which have base in-built.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
the problem with changing to the 7002 is that you have less control over the bass, because with a separate sub, you can change the location of the bass which really affects the sound quality. Sometimes moving your sub a foot change affect the sound a lot. If you buy full range speakers like the 7002, you have no more choice. You are stuck with whatever bass they put out.

The Supercubes are ok for their size, but I'd still rather go for an SVS, Hsu or Epik sub which should still beat the DefTech in overall performance.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth912 /forum/post/12919276

Thanks for the response.

The room is big - 25 x 25 - open plan (kitchen, living room and dinning).

The super cube is on offer at the moment - supercube 1 - less than $899.

I'm not bothered about size...I just want a clean sub that won't drone on. right now I have B&W 600 series fronts but am thinking of changing them to Def 7002 which have base in-built.

That's a huge room. So it's a 25x25 room that opens into other rooms as well? Are the ceilings 8' or higher? Even a sealed 25x25x8 room is 5000 cubic feet. IMO, a Supercube 1 won't cut it in a room that size. If subwoofer enclosure size doesn't matter to you, check out SVS, Hsu, eD, and Epik. eD and Epik have the best bang for the buck, but both companies are backordered right now (eD is a 2+ month wait!).

My first couple of choices, assuming a budget of around $1000-$1500, and you don't mind a long wait, are the Epik Castle (around $1100 or a little more with shipping), Epik Tower ($100 more than the Castle), and eD A7-450. I think for the money, these subs will give as much quality output as possible.

If you want to keep things under $1000 but don't mind a long wait, the Epik Knight, Epik Caliber, and AV123 MFW-15 are great subs. You can get two MFW-15's for $999+ shipping, though again, the wait will be very long.

If you need something soon, you might try getting dual SVS PB12-NSD's, or dual Hsu VTF-3 MK3's. With an open floorplan like you have, you're going to need a lot of bass power. I'd contact Epik, eD, SVS, AV123, and Hsu and see what their recommendations are. Again, Epik, eD, and AV123 are really swamped, so SVS and Hsu are your best bet in terms of getting a sub in the very near future. To directly address you original question, though, the Supercube 1 will not be sufficient for your room, IMO. If you only listen at moderate volumes, it might be ok, but I'd strongly recommend getting a sub from one of the ID brands.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Super Cube 1 will not really be enough. And for the money you will spend on it you can get a LOT more bang for the buck. I personally have a Sup-ercube Reference and it is another league completely than the SC 1. Now another option you may wish to consider however is this. If you really want to get the Def-Tech towers, go ahead and get them, you will then have some lower end reinforcement with their built in subs. They are good but as Lakersfan said sometimes they do not produce exactly what you are looking for for bass due to sometimes limited placement options. Take your time and read and go listen if possible to some of the subs mentioned and make an educated decision and get the sub you have your heart set on
. Then for sure you will be in really great shape. You will have full range towers and a killer sub, which would be the BEST option in the end. I wish you luck and hope you get what you want in the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts