AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched Superman Returns (HD rented from Netflix) the other night on my 360 (hooked up to Denon 2807 via compnent then to Mitsu 52 in. DLP via HDMI). During the entire movie there was a persisent horizontal line and bar tracking up the screen repeatedly, almost like an old tv where the horizontal hold was off.

Afterward, I popped in KK, and did not see the same line/bars. I have also played some games without a problem. In fact, this is the only time this has ocurred.

Is this a know problem with the Superman Returns disc? Given that it hasn't happened with any other source material before or since, I don't think I should be worried about the 360 or the add on, but should I?

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
29,566 Posts
A horizontal bar rolling up the screen would be a ground loop problem. Not sure why you'd only see it on this one disc, though.

Make sure your player is plugged into the same electrical outlet as your display. If that doesn't do it, disconnect your cable TV feed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What you are experiencing is called a hum bar. I can't really give you a detailed explanation, but it's something related to the frequency of the 360 and cable. As an earlier poster said, a ground loop issue or something.

I am guessing you have cable. I had this same problem and noticed it while playing Condemned on the 360 because of the dark scenes. Luckily, I had spare coax cable and a surge protector that had a cable in/out on it. I am running my cable through our surge protector and no more hum bar. I heard you could get a ground filter that plugs into your wall and then run all your power through it, but didn't even try it since I already had the equipment needed. I first tested this by unplugging my cable. Hum bars went away so I knew the problem was cable with my 360.

What's interesting to me is your setup. We have a 2005 52" DLP Mits, a bit older Denon receiver and a 360. So if you tell me your birthday is in November, we may have been twin brothers in another life.

Seriously, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjy /forum/post/0

What you are experiencing is called a hum bar. I can't really give you a detailed explanation, but it's something related to the frequency of the 360 and cable. As an earlier poster said, a ground loop issue or something.

I am guessing you have cable. I had this same problem and noticed it while playing Condemned on the 360 because of the dark scenes. Luckily, I had spare coax cable and a surge protector that had a cable in/out on it. I am running my cable through our surge protector and no more hum bar. I heard you could get a ground filter that plugs into your wall and then run all your power through it, but didn't even try it since I already had the equipment needed. I first tested this by unplugging my cable. Hum bars went away so I knew the problem was cable with my 360.

What's interesting to me is your setup. We have a 2005 52" DLP Mits, a bit older Denon receiver and a 360. So if you tell me your birthday is in November, we may have been twin brothers in another life.

Seriously, I hope this helps.

Thanks captainjy. Nope, February (which means I have to start thinking about birthday presents...family room could use a nice 37"-40" LCD). In any case, you are right, I do have cable. I also have a Monster line conditioner that I've just been too lazy to run the cable through, so maybe it's time to do that. I just don't get why it would be that one disc. I had the 360 fired up last night for about 2 hours and didn't see a thing...

Off topic: how do you like your Mits? I bought mine this past summer (June) and wasn't too charged up at first, but it seems to be getting better and better (not just because I am getting used to it ( compared to my 46" Mitsu CRT [purchased around 2001-2002] it is crisper, brighter, clearer, better colors, the whole deal).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.