AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, i'm a noob here....as a noob, i realize i should probably go read 500 posts, and report back with a more refined line of questioning. so if these questions have been answered 100 times elsewhere, please just respond with something like this:

anyways, i was reading johnAV's thread here about loaded mid-priced receivers, and i was wondering if you guys could help a noob out with some examples of these mid-priced, loaded AV receivers.

for some background on me, i currently have a marantz sr4200 running a polk audio five speaker surround system (rm7200); the system isn't anything spectacular, but it fits my currents needs, as i'm in an apartment with a relatively small living room where i need to be conscious of not bothering my neighbors too much.

i'm moving in about a month into a standalone house, and i'm planning on upgrading my system somewhat as part of the move. i've been happy with my polk audio speakers, and would like to keep using some of the speakers i already have. here is what i am thinking of doing speakers-wise:

existing speakers

fronts = polk audio rt38s (bookshelf speakers)

surrounds = speakers from my old polk audio rm7200 set (satellites)

new speakers

center = polk audio cs2 (seems like a good value )

subwoofer = polk audio 505 (another good value )

in terms of other AV components, i will be connecting my tivo series 3 HD dvr, my nintendo wii and (most likely) a blu-ray DVD player to a 50 inch HD lcd or plasma.

so what i'm looking for is a quality AV receiver that will be appropriate for the speakers i'm planning on using; i'd like to spend $700 or less.

i'm really be interested in hearing your suggestions for a receiver, but here are a couple receivers that i found for what feels like reasonable prices in my range:

-marantz sr6001 (i found a good price on this one here ). however, i can't seem to find any reviews on this model -- any thoughts / feedback on this particular model? i read one review (which i can't find again that mentioned this model had some bugs, but i'm not sure if those were widespread and/or fixed?

-onkyo sr705 (jr has this for a good price here )

please feel free to tell me why i'm getting it all wrong and what i should be spending my money on instead -- i'm all ears.

thanks in advance,

deltatahoe

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatahoe /forum/post/14270830

i'm really be interested in hearing your suggestions for a receiver, but here are a couple receivers that i found for what feels like reasonable prices in my range:

-marantz sr6001 (i found a good price on this one here ). however, i can't seem to find any reviews on this model -- any thoughts / feedback on this particular model? i read one review (which i can't find again that mentioned this model had some bugs, but i'm not sure if those were widespread and/or fixed?

-onkyo sr705 (jr has this for a good price here )

please feel free to tell me why i'm getting it all wrong and what i should be spending my money on instead -- i'm all ears.

thanks in advance,

deltatahoe

FYI: if you're already at J&R, taka a look at this - it's $710 if you call in (sales guy's name is Victor IIRC) w/ 3-yr waranty, arriving next week - better than both of your picks (it's the latest model, just arriving now.)

If you're not hooked on JR then call Scott @ Soundpros and you will get it well below $700 and guaranteed by next weekend...

·
Registered
724 Posts
STFU, n00b!

that picture is too damn cute. It's hard to give advice without knowing budget. In general you can't go wrong with Onkyo since it's sort of the price/performance leader. The most amount of little "logo" stickers on the front at each pricepoint

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14271306

STFU, n00b!

that picture is too damn cute. It's hard to give advice without knowing budget.

STFU noob and read the noob again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatahoe /forum/post/14270830

so what i'm looking for is a quality AV receiver that will be appropriate for the speakers i'm planning on using; i'd like to spend $700 or less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/14271921

Couldn't resist...

thanks for the bump. no thoughts on what you would buy as an AV receiver in the $400-700 price range?

·
Registered
481 Posts
How bout the new Denon AVR-1909?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I am actually looking for a unit in that price range myself, but staying under 500 street price. I have been able to scratch the most recommended units (Onkyo 606, Yamah 663, Denon 1909) off my list for various reasons do to features I require which they don't provide. I guess you can say the feature set of my Onkyo 805 has kind of spoiled me. The good thing is that you can find Onkyo 805s for well within you price range right now since they are being discontinued. They WILL run quite warm, so if you go that route...make sure to have proper ventilation.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm looking for a receiver in the same price range to replace my old Pioneer Elite. I am looking at the Denon 1909 (I'm interested in the Dynamic Volume feature) & the Pioneer 1018 (I really love my old Pioneer and this one seems to have almost everything I need). Onkyo has some good receivers at the price point, but you should take a look at these as well.

You should look at the specs on each receiver and determine which has all the features you want most. Also go listen to them if you get a chance.

One other thing, I wouldn't go with the Polk sub. For around $300 you can do better with one of the online subs (HSU, Outlaw, BIC H-100, AV123 X-Sub, etc.)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/14272005

I am actually looking for a unit in that price range myself, but staying under 500 street price. I have been able to scratch the most recommended units (Onkyo 606, Yamah 663, Denon 1909) off my list for various reasons do to features I require which they don't provide. I guess you can say the feature set of my Onkyo 805 has kind of spoiled me. The good thing is that you can find Onkyo 805s for well within you price range right now since they are being discontinued. They WILL run quite warm, so if you go that route...make sure to have proper ventilation.

Just curious.... i was looking at all 3 of these and have decided on the 1909. What did you like better about the 805.... pre-outs? I don't need those, and love the high-end Audessy implementation in the 1909. What else didn't the 1909 offer?

I'm not trying to knock your decision, I just want to make sure I make the right decision and i'm not missing anything else major (I also don't care that the 1909 isn't THX certified).

Thanks!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have actually owned the 805 for about 6 or 7 months now, but am looking for another unit to put in the bedroom with the PS3 and 46XBR4. Yes, it was the pre-outs of the 1909 that discounted it. I would like to be able to use it as a pre/pro in the near future as I am looking into an Emotiva 5 or 7 channel amp soon. I was also unsure if the Denon 1909 would matrix bitstreamed 5.1 into 7.1, as others in this price range don't (663). Since this unit will be eventually hooked up to a PC, it must be able to pass BTB and WTW, and its too early to tell if the Denon will do that too. Besides running warm, I have had no problems whatsoever with my 805, and it covers all of the above bases. Its just that I buy a different brand every time if the situation allows (featurewise), as I like to mix it up a bit.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/14272236

I have actually owned the 805 for about 6 or 7 months now, but am looking for another unit to put in the bedroom with the PS3 and 46XBR4. Yes, it was the pre-outs of the 1909 that discounted it. I would like to be able to use it as a pre/pro in the near future as I am looking into an Emotiva 5 or 7 channel amp soon. I was also unsure if the Denon 1909 would matrix bitstreamed 5.1 into 7.1, as others in this price range don't (663). Since this unit will be eventually hooked up to a PC, it must be able to pass BTB and WTW, and its too early to tell if the Denon will do that too. Besides running warm, I have had no problems whatsoever with my 805, and it covers all of the above bases. Its just that I buy a different brand every time if the situation allows (featurewise), as I like to mix it up a bit.

Read the manual on the 1909. It can use PLllx to matrix almost any source from a movie into 7.1.

I am in the same boat, really. First I was eyeing the 1909 (coming from a 1908), now the Integra 5.9 is catching my eye. It has preouts too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys for the responses; i (obviously) still have a lot of reading to do, as i personally won't feel good about the purchase until i've gotten my arms around the relative benefits of each brand and/or approach.

historically i've found (similar to r1dude) that very good value can be had for units that are a year or two old. along those lines, the denon 1909 seems to be a solid option, but it would appear that i can get a 2808 for about the same price (ok maybe ~$100 more). any other thoughts on this approach?

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatahoe /forum/post/14271968

thanks for the bump. no thoughts on what you would buy as an AV receiver in the $400-700 price range?

Told you in the firts post: H/K AVR-254 ($4x0) or 354 ($6x0), depending on your budget.
Sounds better than any Denon, Onkyo etc in its class and has better features too (sans auto volume leveling on upcoming units, like the Denons expected by the end of the month.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts