Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone enlighten me on the benefits or applications of the available concoctions? I know that the information is in this forum but its tough going through all of it! ;-P

Thanks a million!

Cheers,

Ed

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dewdrop
Hi,

Can someone enlighten me on the benefits or applications of the available concoctions? I know that the information is in this forum but its tough going through all of it! ;-P

Thanks a million!

Cheers,

Ed
Each solution offers its own benefit. Compound that with a multitude of great commercial screen designs and your head spins like a top. Just as there are no perfect projectors, there are no perfect screens. You give up something to get something else.

The best bet is start out with pvc matte white and go from there. Determine what qualities you wish to enhance and then start your research. You'll enjoy a very favorable image while you seek your best solution.

Everybody has a solution they favor in the end. Ddog has his, KBK has his, scoob has his, I have mine, etc, etc.

Two nice things about DIY. You'll learn alot in the process of making your own and even better it will be your own. Additionally, you usually save a great sum of money. You can have many failures for the cost of one premium quality screen. Best wishes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi CMRA,

I have read up your superplex formula, sounds the way to go! Does it need to be on acrylic or plexiglass?

-Ed

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Believe me when i say that I dont think there is anything you can ask about SD/MM that hasnt been already!!

SD/MM supplies are becoming more easily found and there is a wide variety to choose from. Here are a few of the things people are using for their screens:

- Mirror (thats right... plain old mirror)

- Acrylic/Plexi

- Mirror-backed acrylic/plexi

I myself would opt for one of the mirror-backed solutions as they dont require the Silver Metallic coat. If you want to know the ins and outs..... get reading! ;).

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
if you use a real mirror is it Super Super Super Deluxe?

·
Registered
657 Posts
(in my best Monty Python-ish voice)

"Stop That!"

·
Registered
5,652 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad_Dracule
Believe me when i say that I dont think there is anything you can ask about SD/MM that hasnt been already!!

SD/MM supplies are becoming more easily found and there is a wide variety to choose from. Here are a few of the things people are using for their screens:

- Mirror (thats right... plain old mirror)

- Acrylic/Plexi

- Mirror-backed acrylic/plexi

I myself would opt for one of the mirror-backed solutions as they dont require the Silver Metallic coat. If you want to know the ins and outs..... get reading! ;).
Get reading where?

This seems to be an amazing breakthrough - but the threads are all over the road - Who the heck would know where to begin?

Someone needs to do what TRYG did with this third screen review - but do it about this MD SD MM mirros multiple layer thing and set it all straight.

What are the ways?

What works? What doesnt?

Can a mirror be a quicker and good alternative?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree. I think we need a quick reference guide, or "Cliffs Notes" if you will, of all the DIY screen methods. A brief description of the method for creating, the advantages, and disadvantages of everything from a plain blackout cloth screen, to the newest mirror superplex or whatever it's called.

I typed in "misty evening" in a search, and came up with 41 threads, some of which had hundreds of replies. So if not having the ambition to read through literally THOUSANDS of posts makes me lazy, the call me Mr. Sloth.

If one of the veterans of this forum could make an unbiased "DIY quick reference guide", it would be greatly appreciated by all of us newbies/sloths.

Thank you,

-Scot

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,439 Posts
[Originally posted by ScotWithOne_t

I agree. I think we need a quick reference guide, or "Cliffs Notes" if you will, of all the DIY screen methods. A brief description of the method for creating, the advantages, and disadvantages of everything from a plain blackout cloth screen, to the newest mirror superplex or whatever it's called.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.