1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, can't you get somewhere some information about the size??

Normally 35mm projectors are quite long throwing ones, which means that the anamorphic equipment for them just works with a small throwing angle.

But do ou have a source for buying such stuff? Recently I tried to get a Super Panatar at ebay. I was outbidded by a few $

That sucked.

I have an anamorphotic lens for 16mm but this does not really work because of the small angle.

In a german ht-forum there is a guy who builds his own anamorphotic lens. He uses prisms which are made of glass and filled with specific oil- as I read about leaking oil problems (I don't say the P word, could lead to some wars here) I knew why.

This is absolutely the easiest way to build a prism whith certain refraction. The guy took glass with special coating to avoid light loss. He calculated a lot and found the parameters for the prisms that he could easily change the strech-factor from 4:3 to 16:9 which means you can use your 4:3 pj for 2:35:1 and 1.78:1.

He also wanted to implement some "neutral" setting which means you can watch 4:3 native without ever to remove the lens.

The last problem he had was, that the oil was quite aggressive and the glue he used to build the prisms could not stand it. So he was looking for a different glue and is still working on it.

There are persons in the forum who will make some building-plan for homemade anamorphic lenses. The material costs are (including the coated glass!) below 250$

Since you seem to seek as desperately for an anamorphic lens as me, shall I inform you when this tryout leads to success?

When I had my first pj - a Sony CPJ 100E... - and then bought my first DVD-Player I thought about having an anamorphic lens for the pj.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by joswig

There are persons in the forum who will make some building-plan for homemade anamorphic lenses. The material costs are (including the coated glass!) below 250$

Since you seem to seek as desperately for an anamorphic lens as me, shall I inform you when this tryout leads to success?
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!

This sounds like fun!

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've got 2 Superscopes I picked up on Ebay. I've tried some very limited tests and it looks like it may work. My PJ is ceiling mounted and I need to get around to devising a method to mount the lens. The prisms are fairly large, much larger than the Ultra Panatar. My brief tests showed good geometry. I didn't see any distortion of the image. Image was much brighter viewing 16:9 thru the lens than when watching letterboxed without the lens. I've heard people claim that these blocked around 50% of the light which is just plain false.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Mad Chemist

Interesting. I tried the Ulatra panatar but as you mention the opening was to small for HT use.

Regarding the super scope Ill pick one of those up and give it a try. By the way for those interested in using the UP I did not loose a lot of light. I also did not gain light like you do from the Isco2 or Panamorph but it was not a light sponge like the super panatar. Stay away from that one.

I have also had great sucess with the 16mm scope lens. You can find them on ebay for a couple hundred dollors. They work perfect if you have a long throw projector. These have really good optics.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Alan,

I wouldn't think the Superscope would be any better than the Super Panatar. From what I've read, the Superscope was a Super Panatar knockoff. The guy at The Widescreen Museum seemed to think the Superscope was a bit of a joke compared to even the Super Panatar. Who knows? I'm sure there was a bit of politics involved with all of the competing film formats back then.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Alan,

I'll trade you a Superscope (or 2) for an Isco II :)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...ISCO II...

Rah, Rah Rah!

I'm waiting too...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Alan,

Is it iscoII or isco 11?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.