AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I haven't been able to determine in this awesome forum is support for DVD-A and SACD using a HTPC. It would make sense that it's just the software that needs to support it, but is that the case?

Basically I'm wondering if there is anything specific about the DVD ROM in the computer to support these media types and what software currently supports playback of either one (or both) of these types?

Recommendations? Suggestions?

:) :cool:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
With the right software, a HTPC should be able to play DVD-A's. Right now Creative is the only company shipping such software, and it only works with their Audigy 2 soundcards (which it is included with). M-Audio was rumoured to be working on a DVD-A playback solution for their Revo (and possibly Delta 410) sound cards, but I haven't heard anything encouraging on that front lately; at this point it's vaporware that probably won't ship anytime soon given that M-Audio can't even seem to get some much-needed bugfix drivers released for their cards.

SACD is a different story. Sony went out of their way to make sure the discs wouldn't be playable on PC's, and I don't think they will be anytime soon. It's not just a matter of writing a software player, since the filesystem used is different, I'm prett sure you'd need a new filesystem driver for the OS, and possibly a new DVD drive or firmware update for your existing drive. I wouldn't hold your breath... :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.