AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard and am using an HDMI cable to go from the computer to my Denon reciever. If I then use an HDMI cable to go from the receiver to my LG W2453V monitor, then I do not get all of the encoded formats showing in my receiver properties (see pics). However, if instead of using an HDMI cable to go from receiver to monitor I use a DVI cable to go from the computer to the monitor, then all of the encoded formats show up properly. As part of doing this I use a duplicated desktop to the monitor and receiver. I believe I have all drivers updated. Would appreciated any advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
Make sure you turn off HDMI audio from receiver to TV. If you don't (a common mistake), your TV's audio capability will override your receiver's supported formats. As most TVs only support 2-ch PCM on HDMI input, your receiver will be foreced to report that as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, forgot to mention that I have HDMI audio out set to amp and hdmi control turned off and the issue persists.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
What Video Card?

Have you installed the realtec audio and inteligent management if it is an intel iGPU?

Do you have the proper codecs installed for decoding HD Audio?

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
HDMI control has nothing to do with it. But your problem still seems to be the EDID issue. You may want to take this to your Denon owners thread to see what suggestion they can offer you. Probably just a few settings on the receiver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am currently using the onboard video, but was previously using NVIDIA GTX 560 ti with the same results (I currently have the NVIDIA card removed from my machine).

I have looked at the Denon's owner thread, but didn't find anything that seemed to work.

I know I can get the audio to work properly if I just hook up the monitor via DVI or VGA. Here are some screenshots when I have the monitor hooked up via VGA. One difference from my first post is the Realtek HDMI Output now shows an extra symbol with it and shows as Default Communications Device as opposed to Ready (does this mean something?).

I then use extended display or duplicate display for the monitor and receiver.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Did you un-install the nVidea and do you have the codecs for the file you are trying to play back?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did uninstall NVIDIA.I am playing my mkv files through XBMC and have confirmed the codecs through mediainfo. I get perfect playback when monitor is hooked up via dvi/vga and truehd and dts master show up fine on receiver. When I output to monitor via hdmi, I am only able to play the core codec. However, during this process I am focusing on what shows up in supported formats in my audio properties. Once that shows up properly, everything works just fine.

Also, when hooked up via HDMI I changed the Realtek to the default communication device as it shows up with vga, and had no change (even after re-boot).

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Sounds like an EDID issue to me.

The trouble-shooting link above goes through that in the HDMI handshake issues section.

I ended up using this HDMI equalizer/extender between two three foot high-speed HDMI cables from monoprice from the HTPC to the AVR to clear up a different HDMI issue I was having where it would reset about every 5 to 10 seconds. There's also the HDMI detective, which costs about 10x as much. I haven't had to resort to that.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Stupid question, but how many HDMI inputs do you have? Have you tried connecting to a different In/Out? Was the first post/screen capture using the NVIDIA card?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
There's 7 HDMI inputs on the AVR-2312ci of which I use two. The HTPC is used 99.99% of the time so it really is only one. I cannot remember the last time I played a movie from disc.

Back to the OP. You could try any of the HDMI inputs to see if that improves the situation. This is explained in the trouble shooting link I posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts