AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Longtime lurker, infrequent poster here. I'll make this short and simple. My house got robbed. I had a Samsung DLP 5086W (can't remember exact model number). It was 2.5 years old but still had a great picture. That TV had a PC input (15 pin D-SUB). The supported resolution was 1280x720 and that is what my HTPC ran the TV at. I had a very small black border around the edge of the screen but it was just fine for what I needed. In short, it was near perfect.

Here I am today, looking for a new TV. Unfortunately, Samsung doesn't make DLP's anymore. Why, I don't know, but I am stuck between LCD's and plasma's.

All newer 1080p LCD's and plasma TV's support 1920x1080 resolution, but do they all support that resolution on the PC input? If not, is it supported on the HDMI input from a PC?

I am looking at the PN50B650 or PN58B650. Does anyone here have real-world experience connecting their HTPC to either of these plasma's? I will be building a brand new HTPC, which will support VGA and HDMI so either input is available to me.

Basically I want to make sure that the Sammy plasma will support a PC native resolution of 1920x1080 or will I have to go the LCD route. Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have searched this site and Samsung's site but they don't specifically mention what PC resolutions are supported.

Christian

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good answer. I looked through that manual; must've skipped right over it. The fact that they mention the Windows display resolution makes it more apparent that it supports the full resolution of the TV.

I asked mainly because I was reading a review about the Panasonic G10 and the PC resolution was considerably lower, like 1366x768 or something like that. I didn't want to be stuck in the same boat with a Sammy but it looks like I won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidberg /forum/post/16977030

Good answer. I looked through that manual; must've skipped right over it. The fact that they mention the Windows display resolution makes it more apparent that it supports the full resolution of the TV.

I asked mainly because I was reading a review about the Panasonic G10 and the PC resolution was considerably lower, like 1366x768 or something like that. I didn't want to be stuck in the same boat with a Sammy but it looks like I won't be disappointed.

I think all new plasmas support pixel-perfect 1080p over HDMI. This may not be the case with VGA interface but why would you want to use that when you've got HDMI ?

·
Registered
362 Posts
My A650 Sammy does 1080p via HDMI from my laptop, perfect geometry, pixel to pixel mapping. I would hope your computer supports 1080p via HDMI, if it doesn't it's time for a new video card.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am going to be building a new HTPC after the theft of my old one (a moment of silence for the 10+ TB of TV shows and movies that gave their lives in support of me). I will be ordering an HDMI-native video card for it once I get my insurance money. It's good to know that these TV's support the native 1080p resolution.

Christian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts