AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to buy this setup, and wanted to check with others before blowing a load of cash.

I will vid/audio switch through my amp:

source (all via s-vid) -> denon av-11sr -> HCPC -> PHD6

Will be using hyperos to run several instances of XP, games, web, audio films storage.

NB: i know i need a pbtv100 card, but i can never find one anywhere, anybody got a direct link?

Overclockers

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 Serial ATA 80GB 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-017-MD) £61.00

Maxtor MaXLine Plus II Serial ATA 250GB 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-021-MD) £189.90

AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3200+ 400FSB (Socket A) CPU - OEM (CP-058-AM) £254.95

Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard (MB-019-AS) £75.50

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB TV-Out/DVI - Retail (GX-017-SP) £240.95

LiteON 16x DVD-ROM - Retail (CD-008-LO) £21.50

Pioneer DVR-A06 DVD±RW Writer - Retail (CD-012-PO) £131.50

Thermalright SLK-800A (Socket A) (HS-003-TR) £35.00

Vantec SF8025L Stealth 80mm fan - Retail (FG-003-VT) £8.25

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Pro - Retail (KB-011-MS) £58.50

Microsoft Windows XP Professional - OEM (OS-002-MS) £95.00

Antec Sonata Piano Black Quiet Case (CA-003-AT) £69.95

Subtotal £1,242.00

VAT £217.36

Total £1,459.36

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

Crucial

CT6472Z40B 512MB (DDR400) , 184-pin DIMM x2 £139.98

Basket Total: £139.98

VAT calculated at 17.5%

United Kingdom: £24.50

Sub total: £164.48

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------

Hyperos

Hyperos R3 £99.00

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk

Princo Branded X2 Speed 4.7 Gb DVD-RW (10) Pack : £1.19 per disc Bargain £11.99

Datasafe / Ritek X4 Speed 4.7Gb DVD-R (25)£ 1.09 per disc £27.25

Datasafe/Datawrite All Speed 90 Min CDR (50) From 33p per disc £16.50

TDK X12 Speed CDRW Jewel Case (1) £0.89

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

www.quietpc.com

SilentDrive Acoustic Enclosure x2 £49.00

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------

TOTAL £1829.46

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

i am starting with nothing, so if any could point out any cables etc i have missed.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I'm not familiar with the newest Maxtor HDDs but make sure that they take the old (4-pin) power connector. If they require the SATA power cord then you may need to purchase an adapter cable ($3-4 item).

If your goal is an ultra-silent PC then I would strongly suggest investigating a fan replacement option for the Radeon card (Zalman cooler, etc.). Also, it looks like Thermalright recommends the 900A as a cooling solution for the Barton cores? Be sure to get an ultra quiet fan w. speed control to replace the stock fan on the cooler. Finally, Seagate (Barracuda) HDDs are significantly more quiet that the Maxtor drives.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have almost same config with MB, CPU, and GPU.

Agree on replacing stock fan with Radeon. I own a Radeon 9700 from Sapphire w/ heat sink, and it's great - no noise.

I also bought their CPU fan/heat sink, which is much quieter than the stock AMD fan/sink.

I would also suggest some fan regulators that you can install in case you're unhappy with the noise. See: http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnpsfanmate.htm

You can always return them if you don't need them. Recommend you include them in your order to save on shipping if you were to order them later on.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I would also strongly suggest looking at the new antec overture case. I have the Sonata and love it, however, I would much prefer a horizontal case such as the new overture. I do believe it uses the same type of power supply which gives 5V fan leads.

Russ

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Under advice i will add these to the list:

Thermalright SLK-900A (Socket A) (HS-010-TR)

Vantec SF8025L Stealth 92mm fan - Retail (FG-003-VT)

Zalman ZM80A-HP Silent Heat pipe VGA cooler (SY-003-ZA)

I believe that the antec case already has a speed controller built into the "........TruePower PSU that comes with the case. The TruePower 380W unit adjusts fan speeds based on the temperature in the case. Two Molex-connector power lines coming off of the PSU are marked as "fan only" lines............."

Would there be any draw back in using the desktop case in terms of future expansion or upgradability.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Don't neccissarily jus t jump to the SLK900A. My system runs very quite with the stock hs/fan. I can't hear it at all sitting on the couch 10 ft away during the day. At night, when the house is completely silent I can somewhat hear it but not if a movie is playing. It causes absolutely no distraction and I am very picky about my movies. I can't comment on the ATI video cooler as I am running an 8500DV and have no idea how the fan noise compares with the 9800 pro.

Regarding the future expansion of the Overture case, it has 1 less 5.25" external bay (2 compared to 3 of the Sonata) and 1 less internal 3.25" bay (4 in the sonata, 3 in the overture). Other than that, it has exactly the same capacity. IMO, the one additional hard drive space in the Sonata will not make a difference. If you are using more than 3 hard drives, chances are you will be using a lot more than 3.

Russ

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oreoboy13
Under advice i will add these to the list:

Thermalright SLK-900A (Socket A) (HS-010-TR)

Vantec SF8025L Stealth 92mm fan - Retail (FG-003-VT)

Zalman ZM80A-HP Silent Heat pipe VGA cooler (SY-003-ZA)

I believe that the antec case already has a speed controller built into the "........TruePower PSU that comes with the case. The TruePower 380W unit adjusts fan speeds based on the temperature in the case. Two Molex-connector power lines coming off of the PSU are marked as "fan only" lines............."

Would there be any draw back in using the desktop case in terms of future expansion or upgradability.
I am happy to hear you want to go with a Zalman VGA cooler. It seems that Zalman just released a new flavor for the 9800: the ZM80C-HP. Click here

I do not know if this fan cooler is really necessary.

I have been using a 9700Pro with the first VGA version (A) for quite while. It works great, but gets pretty hot. I do not use it for gaming, though.

For HT use (only) I also recommend you take a look at the Gyration mouse...

_____

Axel

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably stick with the microsoft wireless as i will be using it for games aswell.

BTW: What cable would i use to connect the nFOrce to the Denon AV-11SR?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
My ABIT NF7-S (nforce2) uses an optical SPDIF, which connects well to my Denon 3803.

If you don't mind hacking around, you can get an SPDIF panel for one of your slots, and hook it up to the SPDIF header on the motherboard. The panel has an optical and a coaxial connection, and you can choose to make either or both inputs or outputs.

The part is ~8$ from newegg, and there are instructions on how to connect it floating around on the web. I have the panel, but haven't connected it yet.

Ozy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.