AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. My dad and I were in town getting mom's car serviced. We came acrossed this store at the mall that sells home theater stuff, furniture, and appliances. Well. I walked in and immediatly had my eyes on all the widescreen RPTVs. They had A Bug's Life playing on them. I noticed they were short and fat and everything was fullscreen on the 4x3 TVs. Well, the guy asked me if I needed any help with anything. I said, yeah, these sets aren't set right. You have a pan and scan movie playing on a widescreen TV. So, he sets it to widescreen. He was real nice too. So, push the Aspect button on all the TVs. Well, I noticed that Zoom was the right feature. Being a 2.35:1 movie, the FULL mode was just stretching it leaving HUGE black bars. I go, Ut oh. DVD player is set to 4x3 letterbox. So, the guy let me redo the DVD player to 16x9 Wide. Well, now all the 4x3 TVs will have a Tall and Skinny picture. But we basically have no way of getting around that. Who cares about them anyway? :D So, after it's set to 16x9 Wide, I reset all the TVs to Full mode and the picture was excellent. Even better. Oh, guess what else? They're all connected by the Coax RF cable. But it still had a good picture. I understand that the RF cable is the easiest way to go and the store has just opened. But someday, they'll probably run component cables to each set. Well, I got all the TVs set correctly but one. This one TV didn't have a remote near by. What it did was stretch the picture vertically so the small black bars are gone. I change the channel, then change it back and it'd look fine. Then it would automatically stretch the picture. Kinda frustrated me there. But, there was really nothing I could do about it unless I had the remote.

The guy asked if we hadda widescreen TV at home. I said "I WISH!" My dad told the guy that I research this stuff on the net. If it wasn't for AVS, I'd be pretty clueless on how to reset all the TVs. I kinda had fun at it. The guy's real happy that I was able to improve the picture quality. The quality is beautiful now and it's just connected by the COAX. I'd love to see how the component looks. Also, they are hiring in a couple of months. So, I'm gonna turn in my resume and hope to get a job their soon. One thing on the resume will say "I adjusted all your TVs". :D

Again. I'm glad I've pulled that good deed for the day.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You probably already know this... don't wait for them to post the job. You don't want the competition to get a fair shot at your job.

Tell them they need you NOW if they want to move their expensive sets and that you happen to be available.

Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What goes around comes around twice as "good".....

Not only will you have a jo you'll obviously enjoy, but a nice employee discount.......

Good luck!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey. Thank you all for all the input about this job opportunity. If they do hire me, I plan on upgrading all the sets from COAX to Component. Like I said. The picture was beautiful with the COAX and I was very surprised. But Component will be a LOT better though. I'm gonna start typing my resume soon if I can ever find my Office XP disc so I can install word. It'll be a few months before they hire. But nice to get my resume in ASAP. I'd love to have a job like this.

Well, anyway. I opened this thread to ask if any of you ever readjust all the equipment so everything looks right? Share your stories and experiences. When you do mess with everything, do they yell at you? Or do they let you? Well. The guy there had no problem, as I said before. I explained the anamorphic and the difference between widescreen and fullscreen. Man. I explained a lot of stuff. I don't own an HDTV, but yet I'm showing him how to set everything all up for the best picture. Yeah. When the DVD player was set to 4x3 letterbox, the picture looked fine. It was fine. I said, "Ya know, the picture quality will be even BETTER if the DVD player was set to 16x9 Wide" We set it to that, I redid the TVs, AGAIN and WOW. MUCH BETTER picture! Even over Coax, it looked great. If I had the time, I would've redone the contrast and brightness settings and everything. If the guy had all the wiring and equipment, I would've rewired all the sets for component. But, if I get the job, that's a possibility. Soon, they'll be getting some plasma sets. *drool*

Well, anyway. What's your experiences? Ever pull good deeds like this?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Were these Samsung sets? My girlfriends mom got a Samsung with a "Cinema" mode that automatically detects 2.35:1 after about 3 seconds and stretches it to remove the "black bars" which looks horrible.

I found that it has a "wide" mode which doesn't do that.

The set isn't too bad for the money they paid, but it seems to have some sort of auto color adjustment that can't be turned off. I can see the picture (color, etc) adjust when it cuts from a high-light to a low-light scene.

It still had a pretty picture after I calibrated it with AVIA decent but I always miss the awesome picture on my Sony 46WT500 whenever I'm at her place.

·
Registered
441 Posts
When I go shopping for electronics, I usually do a tremendous amount of research and places like AVS are invaluable forums for information. If happen to find myself in a Tweeter, CC, or BB, it is rare to meet a sales agent who knows more than me. And if they are too busy, I start chatting it up with customers, sometimes good, sometimes bad... I will tell them, this is last years model they are trying to push, or here are the problems with this set ... etc... On the other hand, I can give the advice you are looking for. I am generally in favor of B&M over Internet on big ticket items. I have been offered jobs, but this is more of a hobby for me and would never leave teaching. I think if I could open my own store with some partners it would be cool.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Keep this story in mind the next time you read a post that says "I just went to CC and saw X and Y, and X had a better picture". The settings in the stores are always screwed up. I love it when someone tries to post a review on a TV they don't own, but just saw it in the store.

I brought my father to CC to look at the Samsung DLP. It was sitting next to the Sony LCD. The Sony hd a beautiful HD demo loop. The Samsung had a DVD player set to 4:3, and then stretched to widescreen by the monitor. I tried to explain to him the difference, but he just kept saying "I think the Sony has a better picture" I finally gave up.

He is in town this week and got to see my DLP live for HD college football yesterday. . . he was totally blown away ....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That TV that was automatically stretching 2.35:1 pictures. I really dunno what brand name TV it was. It was a HUGE set too. I should've asked the guy to find the remote for it so I can fix it. I explained to the guy that that TV must have that setting because a lot of people who buy a widescreen TV go "There's still black bars on my widescreen tv!!!" Also. At a lot of other places where they're playing HD material on the widescreen HDTVs. Then the 4x3 HDTVs will be set on zoom. I'll take the remote and fix it so it "letterboxes" the HD material. My dad will go "Whatcha do? Put that one on letterbox?" I go "YUP! Gotta see the WHOLE picture, ya know."

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well. I turned my Resume in. The place that I'm hoping to work at is Aaron's. I turned the Resume into a different guy than I mentioned before. I said to the guy that the "big" guy had recommended this job to me. He says, "Oh you mean Chad?" Oh yeah. That's him. So, he takes my resume. Then I proceed to look around. The TVs that had A Bug's Life going are still going with the proper settings. Then I get to this TV that has Men In Black 2 playing. Widescreen version too. But I noticed the picture was pretty jagged and it looked WORSE when I set the TV from interlaced mode to progressive mode. I tried cinema mode too and it still looked like crap. Then I figured it out. The TV was in Zoom mode. I put it in 4x3 mode and the grey bars were on the sides with black bars on the top and bottom. THERE'S the problem. DVD play is not set to 16x9. So, I reach my hand above the entertainment center to try to find the remote. I found it and start playing around. Then Chad's behind me and I look. "Oh hi!! I turned my resume in." I says. Then I say, "NOW I wanna adjust this one." Laugh here and a laugh there. I finally get the DVD player set to 16x9 and play the movie over again. It is MUCH sharper now. I even got up and set it to Cinema mode. That must be the 3:2 pulldown thingy. Well, it's much better. So, hopefully, if I do get the job, I'll be buying me my own TV like that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got a chance to go to Fry's today. When I went in there, I found a TV that was playing LOTRs and the DVD player was set to 4x3 Pan and Scan, heh, which didn't work anyway. And the widescreen TV was set to stretch mode. So the movie looked like Ben Hur. So, I fixed that and it looks a lot better now. Then they had 2 TVs and 2 DVD players playing Men in Black 2. One was a 4x3 TV playing the Foolscreen version. The other was was a 16x9 TV playing the widescreen version. Problem was that the DVD player was set to 4x3 and the widescreen TV was set to normal mode. So, I switched the DVD player to 16x9 mode and it looks a lot better now. Then I found a surround sound system setup playing Hell Freezes Over. Widescreen TV. They had it zoomed so the top and bottom was cut off. So, I fixed it to put the pillers on the side. Then I set it to play the concert in DTS rather than PCM. Sounds a lot better and looks a lot better.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ken,

Or just start your own 12 step tweakaholics group.

"Hi .....MY names Ken ..................and I'm a tweakaholic".

Crowd responds; "hello Ken".

Just kidding, your posts were.............. "tweaked".

Allan

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been lurkin' and decided to finally start posting a little ;)

On the subject of the quality of the setup of floor models at stores. Well, the Sears in Lynchburg, VA was just unbelievable! I mean it. I was floored.

Its a whole story in itself:

First off, all the non-HD feeds to to the standard sets were very bad. They looked like they had been split, re-split, and then banana split. The salesman was cool and rather embarrassed giving all kinds of cool sounding excuses. Maybe it was a bad day as far as that one, goes, or maybe too many people don't care about PQ when they buy ;)

Then, I personally have never liked the picture on CRT RP's. That's one of the reasons I have not been in the market for a big screen. But, I did want to use them as a comparison to LCD and DLP. I could not find one CRT-RP that was even close to what I would call adjusted or calibrated and they should have been shielded somewhat from the store lights ... but nope! Believe it or not, many of the CRT-RP's were mounted up and above eye level, so you saw the "wrong" view. The rep said the manager insisted on that so that people could see them correctly from the isles. Okay ... so then ...

The Sammy DLP's were at the right height, but they had the Hitachi 50v500 on the isle, BELOW eye level. So, you walk buy, glance at it, and it just looks horrible. Since that is the one I came into buy, there I am, squatting in the isle to check the quality of the picture. People kept apologizing to me as they walked by, "in my way." Great way to sell televisions. I don't think they had many impulse sales with that setup.

They had some low-end DVD hooked up to the Hitatchi and get this: via composite! I had to laugh at that one.

I will post more about my choice, etc., (I made the plunge and ordered because I knew what I wanted, needed, and liked ... with some help from the forum members here) but I also noted that the Sammy DLP's were not set right at all. I didn't like them for aesthetic reasons concerning the PQ, but man, they were obviously set very wrong concerning contrast and brightness.

Well, I like Sears and have always had good experiences with them. Had I been a more casual shopper that setup would have made me think TV's had gone back-wards in time.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wal Mart actually has their HDTVs set up correctly. Except, the 4x3 HDTV is set to stretch the picture vertically. I couldn't find the remote to fix that. But the 2 widescreen TVs there were playing HD material. They were hooked up with the component cables. The picture looked very clear. It was like looking at a picture on a computer monitor. Or even better. So, they must have some smart people there for a change. I dunno why Wal Mart doesn't supply the remote next to each TV so I can play with it. That really sucks. At least I get to mess with all the TVs at most of the other places. The other day, I turned down the contrast on some of the TVs at the place I wanna work at. I should've done them all. They were up full blast. They are still playing A Bug's Life, which is a 2.35:1 movie, and so far, no burn-in on any of the sets. So, that's good.

So yes. I'm Ken Garrison *hi Ken*.........and I'm a tweakaholic. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.