Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://telephonyonline.com/fttp/news...esults_080905/

Highlights:

"SureWest Communications today announced that it will launch HDTV over its IP-based television platform in the third quarter, becoming the first U.S. telco to do so, said Brian Strom, president and chief executive officer. "

"SureWest is building its FTTP network outside its Roseville community in nearby towns of South Placer County, Sacramento and Elk Grove and is competing with SBC, Comcast and Citizens in those areas. "

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Can't wait for that to happen. I was told by later next year SureWest will cover many areas in Sacramento County. They forgot to mention they also compete with E* and D*.

Is there less of a bandwidth concern with fiber-based IPTV to provide as many HDTV channels as there are out there?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We need to know more technical info on their system to make any guesses about capabilities.

Example:

Verizon apparently uses APON for voice and data , which is not fast or robust enough for some. There's also EPON and GPON standards for the future. They use / 1550nm for video.

I'm not a real deep technical guy so, hopefully someone can provide good links regarding these technologies.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung
Can't wait for that to happen. I was told by later next year SureWest will cover many areas in Sacramento County. They forgot to mention they also compete with E* and D*.
I asked them recently about service to Fair Oaks, and was told "we have no immediate plans to service that zip code." I'm hoping that we get Surewest at some point soon. Had it in my old house in Arden/Arcade, and loved the internet. The TV system was good, but lack of HD services kept me from subscribing for very long.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
I asked them recently about service to Fair Oaks, and was told "we have no immediate plans to service that zip code." I'm hoping that we get Surewest at some point soon. Had it in my old house in Arden/Arcade, and loved the internet. The TV system was good, but lack of HD services kept me from subscribing for very long.
I live in a newer subdivision, one time I asked a Comcast tech about an extra cable line lead in the cable box at the curb, he said it was reserved for SureWest. I was quite surprised we might have more than one cable company soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had SureWest installed at my house in May, and was told by their salesman that they would be rolling out their HDTV service in June. I e-mailed their customer service folks to confirm their plans for a June rollout, but was told that it wouldn't be available until the 3rd Quarter. I found a press release from Amino, who is providing their Set Top Boxes, announcing the availability of a new STB that is capable of decoding an MPEG-4 signal, so I'll be curious to see if they stick with MPEG-2 or go with MPEG-4.

Since I got rid of Comcast, I sure do miss ESPN-HD and FSN-HD. I was told by the salesman that they would also have TNT-HD, but I'll wait and see what programming they actually provide.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm
An the first shot in this new war has been fired.......
And it could be landing near me!!!

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
I am just wondering: why is this the first shot?

The war has been heating up for some time.

The Texas Legislature has been one major battleground for months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would be stupid for them not to go with the mpeg-4 model. Mpeg-4 to the STB is half the bandwidth footprint of mpeg-2. Depending on the encoder it could be as low as 1.5mbps vs. a minimum of 3.5mbps for mpeg-2 streams.

The box in question is the AmiNet 124 which is mpeg-4/H.264 compatible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here is the latest from SureWest regarding the rollout of their HDTV service.

Quote:
We expect our HDTV product to be available in the next few months. SureWest will provide HDTV over an IP (Internet Protocol) based network, which is a new and more advanced technology. Testing of this newer technology has taken longer than expected and caused a delay in offering HDTV to our customers. This IP network will eventually allow your TV to behave more like a computer and allow our HDTV product to be one of the most advanced on the market.

We are currently testing the product and working diligently with our vendors. The product just needs a little more time before it meets our standards. We believe it will be a terrific and dynamic product that will delight our customers. SureWest will have the best HDTV package in the market and it will be worth waiting for. It will have more benefits than any other provider and will be priced very competitively. We appreciate your patience and will have more updates available to you regarding our planned HDTV service soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.