AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into some surge protection and voltage regulation but most units can't handle the extreme power that the Anthem P5 requires. The power consumption on the P5 is 2 X 1800watts.

If I plug the amp into a surge protector its going to throttle the amp so what are you guys doing to protect your power hungry amps?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Use a whole house surge protector. Your amp will run better without separate a surge protector for it. The power supply does a better job than most surge protectors.

If you must get a surge protector, get a series type by Brickwall. Surgex etc.

Bill

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGoo
Use a whole house surge protector. Your amp will run better without separate a surge protector for it. The power supply does a better job than most surge protectors.

If you must get a surge protector, get a series type by Brickwall. Surgex etc.

Bill
Who sells a whole house surge protector?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Cuttler Hammer and Square D for starters. I have a Square D unit wired into my main panel.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This is what I have:

http://www.squared.com/us/products/s...Surge_Plus.jpg

It's called the Surgebreaker Plus Multipath Surge Protector.

The other link seems like serious overkill for a home. This unit is nice in that it protects not only electrical power but also telephone and cable. Because each of the three protection zones are modular, you can replace them individually without affecting the other zones. It's a bit expensive but the unit is well made. I think I paid about $250 USD for it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung
This is what I have:

http://www.squared.com/us/products/s...Surge_Plus.jpg

It's called the Surgebreaker Plus Multipath Surge Protector.

The other link seems like serious overkill for a home. This unit is nice in that it protects not only electrical power but also telephone and cable. Because each of the three protection zones are modular, you can replace them individually without affecting the other zones. It's a bit expensive but the unit is well made. I think I paid about $250 USD for it.
Why would somebody buy a Monster Cable spike protection product if you can protect the entire home for less money?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Because Square D does not have a bunch of "Monster Bots" out pumping (or is that pimping??) their solution.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well just goes to show you how much they spend on marketing and they need to charge more for their products to pay for the marketing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.