AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for all of my components. My rack is plugged into one outlet and my projector is on another due to the distance between the rack and the ceiling mount. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a curcuit breaker / surge protector combo? Square D makes one that is compatible with my sub-panel. My biggest worry living in the South on top of a hill is lightning strikes. Would it provide enough protection.

Here's a link to what I am referring to:

http://www.squared.com/us/squared/co...56A3A007091D7/ $file/productsa2zFrameset.htm

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Can you try posting a working link again, please?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the description.

SURGEBREAKER® Secondary Surge Arresters

For branch panel protection. Specifically designed for QO or HOMELINE load centers, these SPDs easily plug into place for a secure fit, providing surge protection up to 40,000 amps. Single phase, 120/240. QO will work with NQOD panels.

Suitable for use in service entrance locations

Meets requirements of NEC Article 280

UL and cUL Listed for both QO and HOMELINE formats

UL 1449, 2nd edition Listed transient voltage surge suppressor

Meets ANSI/IEEE C62.11-1987

QO format used for QO load centers, combination service entrance devices and NQOD panelboards

HOMELINE format used for HOMELINE load centers, combination service entrance devices

LED indicator shows operational status of the unit

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
No surge protector that I have heard of will protect your house circuitry against a direct lightning strike.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Dave, I found them on the Square-D site. They do indeed plug into a panel, but they're not breakers. They plug in an unused 2-space-wide slot, and are whole-house protectors. I thought you were looking for a breaker that provides extra protection for an indiviuit.

Bryant/Hubbel and Leviton have receptacles with built-in surge protection. That may be more suitable for our uses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.