AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I have the OR2200.

It's awesome, it has like 0db of noise in stand-by mode and puresine output (I've tested it.)
The 2200 requires a 20a breaker and wallsocket, the 1500 is 15a I believe.

Those are all good units, they all produce their rated power, so just sum the watts. Should be fine.
12a for the 15a units, and 15a for the 20a units etc etc.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have the OR2200.

It's awesome, it has like 0db of noise in stand-by mode and puresine output (I've tested it.)
The 2200 requires a 20a breaker and wallsocket, the 1500 is 15a I believe.

Those are all good units, they all produce their rated power, so just sum the watts. Should be fine.
12a for the 15a units, and 15a for the 20a units etc etc.
After so many years of hearing it's bad to plug an amp into a UPS it's hard to do otherwise.
I've already bought the wiring and breakers for the box so I'm going to stick with the 15 amp units.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
UPS's are fine against multi-minute brownouts and blackouts and moderate levels of over/under.

Just don't expect them to provide top-notch surge protection or noise filtering or catastrophic overvoltage or in-rush limiting like the SurgeX does...

In terms of conditioning, the PS audio PowerPlant is one of the better units out there that I've tested (99.7% clean), but 97% of that can be obtained with a (much cheaper) online-UPS, or a Eaton Power-Sure 800 if you want a passive whole-house series line conditioner.
They are heavy and loud and warm and expensive, and you'll also take an efficiency hit.
No free lunch!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think I am going to do what you do. I will plug my UPS into the Ultralink which is rated for 3800joules of protection.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Check this one out Bassthathz!

1500va/1500w
Line interactive
15amp
2430 J Protection

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
2430 J Protection
I don't need it... I have a SurgeX protecting my UPS.
All SurgeX's are rated for a minimum of 1000 surges at 360,000 joules, with no failures to the load and itself.
(That's the minimum... hehe! 😉)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't need it... I have a SurgeX protecting my UPS.
All SurgeX's are rated for a minimum of 1000 surges at 360,000 joules, with no failures to the load and itself.
(That's the minimum... hehe! 😉)
I meant for me. 😜
Gives me a lot more headroom with 1500 watts

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I meant for me. 😜
Gives me a lot more headroom with 1500 watts
It looks like a newer, more robust / efficient design. I don't see why not...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't mean to hijack or anything but I was actually looking for a power bar and this looks nicer and I can fit it in a spot that power bar will not....

Is it a good brand? I doubt it does anything extra besides look cool but don't want to burn money, lol

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't mean to hijack or anything but I was actually looking for a power bar and this looks nicer and I can fit it in a spot that power bar will not....

Is it a good brand? I doubt it does anything extra besides look cool but don't want to burn money, lol

Thanks!

I couldn't tell you much about is other than it has never given me any issues. I bought it because of the high joule rating (3800) and because it was available close to me. Just be aware it doesn't regulate power. Some people see the digital reading and think so.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I couldn't tell you much about is other than it has never given me any issues. I bought it because of the high joule rating (3800) and because it was available close to me. Just be aware it doesn't regulate power. Some people see the digital reading and think so.
Thanks!
As long as it does what a normal surge protector will and look nice (which it sounds like it will) I am ok with that.

I have an old Monster Power Bar that was thrown in with a TV at Best buy but it's tall and takes up room as everything plugs in the top so it has to sit on the floor....this can at least sit on a shelf!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thanks!
As long as it does what a normal surge protector will and look nice (which it sounds like it will) I am ok with that.

I have an old Monster Power Bar that was thrown in with a TV at Best buy but it's tall and takes up room as everything plugs in the top so it has to sit on the floor....this can at least sit on a shelf!
You might consider this one also. From what I have read the Tripplite Isobars's are pretty decent.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You might consider this one also. From what I have read the Tripplite Isobars's are pretty decent.
I'm digging the front plugs, easy access in a pinch!

I'll have to think as that looks awesome too!

I am able to get the Ultralink one locally for $138 CAD (price match with Memory Express ($129+9 shipping) and that's twisting my arm a bit.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
You can get a SurgeX XG-PCS-15D on ebay for less than a bag of coffee, like 1-2 digits.

It offers way better protection than MOV-only based devices, the internal guts of it I posted earlier if you want to compare.

Most of these protectors are empty boxes by comparison, you should see if kingpin will de-lid his so that we can see the guts of it, then we'll know what it actually has or doesn't have.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You can get a SurgeX XG-PCS-15D on ebay for less than a bag of coffee, like 1-2 digits.

It offers way better protection than MOV-only based devices, the internal guts of it I posted earlier if you want to compare.

Most of these protectors are empty boxes by comparison, you should see if kingpin will de-lid his so that we can see the guts of it, then we'll know what it actually has or doesn't have.
Ill take a look at it later tonight and post pics.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Price is right but looks like it only supports two devices, would be nice to have 4 or 6 outlets! (Receiver, Amp, 4K player, TV, PS4) I'm guessing something like thais from SurgeX is expensive!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ultralink HDC-150RM Powergrid High Definition Power Conditioner

Our patented Active Surge Processor™ (ASP) technology continuously monitors for over- and- under voltage conditions, shutting down the HDC-150 above 130V and below 85V, fully protecting connected components until the problem clears. When the voltage returns to safe operating levels, the HDC-150 turns itself back on for continued protection.

• 8 surge protected filtered AC outlets
  • Isolated digital, video, audio and high-current AC outlets
  • Patented ASP™ microprocessor voltage monitoring
  • 2 pair high definition surge protected coax connections
  • 1 pair high speed surge protected LAN network connectors
Weight 0.00 kg
Specifications
Ac Power
– Joule Rating: 3,500 J
– Number Of Outlets: 8
– Clamping Voltage: 400v, 1,000v, 1,000v
– Total Current Capacity: 15a
– Surge Circuit Shutdown: Yes
– Power Safety Shutdown: Yes
– Switched Outlets: 4
– Always On Outlets: 4
– Protection Modes: L-N,L-G,N-G
– Line Voltage : 125 Vac / 60hz
– Power Cord: 8 Ft. (14 Awg/3c)
Emi/Rfi Noise Filtration
– Frequency (Khz) : 150khz ~ 100mhz
– Attenuation (Db) : Up To 58 Db
– Level Of Filtration: 2
Coax Protection
– Number Of Connections: 1 Pair (Gold-Plated, 1-In / 1-Out)
– Shielded: Yes
– Hd 1080i/P Ready: Yes
– Attenuation: < 0.1 Db From 950 Mhz – 2.2 Ghz - Clamping Level: 75 V - Bidirectional: Yes Network/Telco Protection - Number Of Connection: 2 (Rj45,1-In / 1-Out) - Fuseless / Auto-Resetting: Yes - Clamping Level: 275 V - Capacitance: 30 Pf (Approximate) - Compatibility: 10 M / 100 Mbps General - Approval Status: C (Ul) - Rohs Compliant: Yes - Weight: 3.55 Kg - Dimensions 432(W) X 216.3(D) X 54(H)

Power Protection - CordLngth
8′

Power Protection - # of Outlets

IMG_20200829_162754.jpg
IMG_20200829_162801.jpg
IMG_20200829_162804.jpg
IMG_20200829_163154.jpg
IMG_20200829_163220.jpg
IMG_20200829_163223.jpg
IMG_20200829_163229.jpg
IMG_20200829_163239.jpg
IMG_20200829_163243.jpg
IMG_20200829_163249.jpg
IMG_20200829_163256.jpg
IMG_20200829_163300.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Holy crap man, that was fast! Thank you!!!

This looks way better than skimpy ones I've seen online so does that make this....good? Lol I'm not sure!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Holy crap man, that was fast! Thank you!!!

This looks way better than skimpy ones I've seen online so does that make this....good? Lol I'm not sure!
LOL I have no idea either. It's a pretty heavy piece.
@BassThatHz come on man. You asked and I delivered. :D

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Price is right but looks like it only supports two devices, would be nice to have 4 or 6 outlets! (Receiver, Amp, 4K player, TV, PS4) I'm guessing something like thais from SurgeX is expensive!

Thanks!!!
Zerosurge makes the modules for Surge X and they’re much less expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: kingpin111
161 - 180 of 196 Posts