AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key is "that won't make my wife choke." I don't care how I sell it, $175+ for a surge protector (Brickwall) will not fly. She'll see a $15 noname "surge protector" power strip in Target and say "why would I spend $160 more?? We just dropped $$$$$ on the TV and you want to spend $175 more?"

I've done searches here for surge protector and everything indicates I should expect to drop a couple ben franklins. That just ain't gonna happen.

So, recommendations in maybe the $50 range? I don't need UPS, I just want to make sure the set doesn't get blown out if the building gets hit by lightening (which happened a week ago). For the record, the developer of our condo did a lot of things bass-ackwards and I do not entirely trust the electrical work. Long story, best left off here.

Thanks.

-p-

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdothat88
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=543467

i asked the same question, got recommended the belkin F9a823-08. I honestly have no idea if its good enough, but i guess its better then nothing. Search mysimon.com for F9a823-08, very reliable company has it listed very cheap, well under your $50 limit.
Thanks! Excellent suggestion.

-p-

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm in pretty similar boat less because of wife concerns, more because I think you could go down the rabbit hole of better cables, better dvd, better power, etc. and go crazy trying to convince yourself that its all for the best.

On power, I think I'm going with this which I've seen at Best Buy.

Acoustic Research 1736-Joule Home Theater Surge Protector - Silver Gray

Model: AR-10V

It meets your price range and adds power conditioning on top of surge proteciton which some people insist you'd die if you did not have because of all the feedback you get through your electical wiring. In a condo, it would be even worse I'm told because you get the every refrigerator in the building messing up your picture. I have no idea whether to believe that you need that or not, but if you do, its got it. There are a couple of Acoustic Research models that are close to half this price that also have the conditioning. The Belkin model listed above doesn't seem to have it. I figure if I can get something with surge protection and power conditioning for under $50, I'll take it. The Monster one with both surge and power conditioning is almost 2x the price and their line then goes exponentially higher.

If someone has any negative thoughts on Acoustic Research in general or this in particular, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been using the a surgearrest from APC for all my systems, I've got three of them: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...e_sku=PF11VNT3

Primarly because it offers data/phone/coax protection, a decent # of usable outlets, along with a good joule rating and "$100,000 worth of protection". I just could never justify something like the Brickwall to myselft but I am willing to drop $35 for a little piece of mind.

Something I always thought was pretty cool, but hate myself for liking is the Monster HTS 200 ( http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...r.asp?pin=2125 ). If I ever have a setup where space is a premium and I'm just protecting 1 or 2 items I'm gonna have to buy it and just deal with my self-loathing ;)

Good luck,

tsw

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.