AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My APC S15 Power conditioner went out. I have had it for about 5-6 years or so. I live in the Houston area, I don't really need power conditioning, but I definitely need surge protection and a battery back up.

I have a ton of equipment. 82 inch screen, 9 Klipsch (RF 7's 82's) 4 big subs, about $15-17k in equipment to protect.

I got a good deal on the APC and, like I said, bought it primarily to protect my equipment.

I am, unfortunately, on a budget. Should I get the APC repaired, get an inexpensive (under $200) surge protector with battery back up or do I need something more?

I know that whole house protection is preferred, but right now I just want to get my system back up and running.

Thanks

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I just ran across this Furman M-DX....$110, def w/in budget. Should I snag it?

I imagine an APC surge protector w/ bat back is probably as good. Same price.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Have you ever replaced the battery on the APC? They only last ~5-6 years

I have a different model but on mine when the battery dies, the unit doesn’t work at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Have you ever replaced the battery on the APC? They only last ~5-6 years

I have a different model but on mine when the battery dies, the unit doesn’t work at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. You should check out the cost of replacing that battery on the APC before buying a new model. 5-6 years is a pretty good run for a UPS Back-Up.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yes, after research I see that 5-6 years is a decent run for the battery.

I bought a $45 APC surge protector for the short term. Any good sources for the battery are appreciated. Going to start by looking at APC web site.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes, after research I see that 5-6 years is a decent run for the battery.

I bought a $45 APC surge protector for the short term. Any good sources for the battery are appreciated. Going to start by looking at APC web site.
tps://www.batteriesplus.com/?locationofinterest=&locationphysical=9012056&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_DHo9zu2AIVV57ACh3ADANkEAAYASAAEgLOqvD_BwE

Cheers

·
Registered
12,721 Posts
Amazon has many batteries. Chrome Batteries is where I have bought the last few, either from Amazon or direct from Chrome (sometimes cheaper than Amazon). I average closer to three years for a battery but we have enough outages that they get used more. APC is wicked expensive for replacement batteries, even with the TradeUPS program, so I usually get third-party batteries. My company also buys replacements from eBay.

Reactions: IndySSD

·
Registered
257 Posts

since you are in Houston, check out Altex Electronics on 59 north at West Rd. (Next to Popeye's between 290 and Sam's Club). They are an APC dealer and have a huge selection of replacement batteries at good prices.

Reactions: IndySSD

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Check out www.brickwall.com
They have an eight or ten outlet unit for $279.00
It's advertized as non failing, silent running, non current limiting, and everything (including amplifiers) can be connected.

Use a whole house protection product (installed at the circuit box) for lightning protection.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out www.brickwall.com
They have an eight or ten outlet unit for $279.00
It's advertized as non failing, silent running, non current limiting, and everything (including amplifiers) can be connected.

Use a whole house protection product (installed at the circuit box) for lightning protection.

That $279 model looks solid for the price. Do I need a bat back up so that my equipment has enough time to shut down?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Questions about surge protectors and other devices to project electronics?

What electrical surge protectors/filters do you use? Im looking to upgrade my old Monster box. Its been a good one but its old. Wondering if theres something better

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
What electrical surge protectors/filters do you use? Im looking to upgrade my old Monster box. Its been a good one but its old. Wondering if theres something better

I use Belkin 12 outlet slim design surge protector. It has an 8 foot power cord. The joule rating is a high 3940, and it comes with a $300,000 connected equipment warranty. It was about $30 at Amazon. I just checked Amazon and it is still available for $24.99 and the model number is Belkin BE 112230-8.

When your shopping check the joule rating. Many much more expensive surge protectors have a lower joule rating.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I use something that's a bit more than a surge protector: https://www.amazon.com/Furman-Aluminum-8-Outlet-Protection-Conditioning/dp/B000YYVLAK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=furman+pst8&qid=1588034072&sr=8-1 I got it at the recommendation of another forum poster. (I probably don't need the "power conditioning".)

Two caveats:

It's rated at 15A. What are your needs?

One of its protections is an MOV, which is semi-sacrificial. I've seen one poster here who appears to be on a one-man crusade against MOVs. (I'm too lazy to find a link.) Claims to have had one nearly set fire to his house, if memory serves. My surge protector has yet to burn, much less the house.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Actually, the best surge protection is to have an electrician install it at your fuse box.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Actually, the best surge protection is to have an electrician install it at your fuse box.
Fuse box? Greetings, fellow Boomer. :) (Yeah, I know that there are still some fuse boxes out there. Some knob & tube wiring, too.)

I was going to post that a wired-in surge protector would be expensive, but I see that the costs of the units vary over a large range. (No idea about labor cost.)

Woukld a 48kVA whole-house unit or larger be needed to go with a 200A service (USA)?

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
at
Fuse box? Greetings, fellow Boomer. :) (Yeah, I know that there are still some fuse boxes out there. Some knob & tube wiring, too.)

I was going to post that a wired-in surge protector would be expensive, but I see that the costs of the units vary over a large range. (No idea about labor cost.)

Woukld a 48kVA whole-house unit or larger be needed to go with a 200A service (USA)?
Yeah, I typed that too quickly.:eek: Of course I meant the electrical panel. Several years ago, lightening struck the ground outside our house and then entered it, frying computers, garage door openers, electrical outlets, etc. Fortunately it spared my AV equipment (it traveled randomly along some wiring, sparing others). The first thing we did was have the electrician install house-wide surge protection at the electrical panel. No single surge protector simply plugged into a wall outlet, into which your AV equipment is plugged, will prevent damage from lightening.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I use something that's a bit more than a surge protector: https://www.amazon.com/Furman-Aluminum-8-Outlet-Protection-Conditioning/dp/B000YYVLAK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=furman+pst8&qid=1588034072&sr=8-1 I got it at the recommendation of another forum poster. (I probably don't need the "power conditioning".)

Two caveats:

It's rated at 15A. What are your needs?

One of its protections is an MOV, which is semi-sacrificial. I've seen one poster here who appears to be on a one-man crusade against MOVs. (I'm too lazy to find a link.) Claims to have had one nearly set fire to his house, if memory serves. My surge protector has yet to burn, much less the house.
No, not on a crusade of any kind. More of a caveat emptor.

Just pointed out the well documented fact that MOV's have been around since the 1930's, are sacrificial devices, not semi-sacrificial, used for surge protection. In the event of sustained over voltage situations resulting in catastrophic failure, they have been know to and are well documented as the source or propagation point of many dwelling fires. And yes, I experienced such an occurrence resulting in my bedroom carpet catching fire. The surge protector's manufacturer denied warranty payment or even the replacement of the damaged unit.

Newer MOV's used in surge protection devices should have a thermal fuse element that will mitigate that problem making them much safer to use.

Various other types of solid state voltage suppression devices with circuits designed around diodes/SRC, zener diode circuits which can be used in conjunction with or with out MOV's offer much better and safer levels of protection.

You're right, you are lazy. If you're going to reference a fact, at least do it in full context and with correct information.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts