AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a system with Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-2, XPA-5, and Samsung PN64F8500. Do I need to get a surge protector and if so what do you recommend? Does it need to be hi end with stage 3-4 protection or anything like that or can it be a simple one (with adequate joules rating)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm putting together a system with Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-2, XPA-5, and Samsung PN64F8500. Do I need to get a surge protector and if so what do you recommend? Does it need to be hi end with stage 3-4 protection or anything like that or can it be a simple one (with adequate joules rating)?
If you have problems with power line surges you probably already know it for sure, due to the stack of burnt out gear that you've had to dispose of.

If you have problems with surges, then your best solution is a whole-house surge protector which is typically installed by a professional electrician.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have problems with power line surges you probably already know it for sure, due to the stack of burnt out gear that you've had to dispose of.

If you have problems with surges, then your best solution is a whole-house surge protector which is typically installed by a professional electrician.
Thanks for the response. I've just moved into my new house and I don't really know if it's prone to surges or not. In fact the house was built in 1959 so I need to find out if it is even grounded at all! If not, I'll have to upgrade it and probably get a new power box as well. Can you tell me more about this whole house surge protector? I'm unaware of that. Any links to buying one?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

+1

Cost me $160 installed.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I was an electrician in a previous life, so I installed my whole house surge protector myself. Cost $65 for the protector alone, $160 installed is not a bad deal at all. :)

I also have APC UPSs for all my PCs, my networking gear, my Ceton Eth tuner, my AVR, and my projector. It makes me feel better knowing that I not only have surge protection, but brown out protection as well. Brown outs can do some serious damage as the equipment starts to turn off due to low power but then suddenly has all its power back. It also allows my HTPC (and other PCs) to power down gracefully - making Windows very happy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was an electrician in a previous life, so I installed my whole house surge protector myself. Cost $65 for the protector alone, $160 installed is not a bad deal at all. :)

I also have APC UPSs for all my PCs, my networking gear, my Ceton Eth tuner, my AVR, and my projector. It makes me feel better knowing that I not only have surge protection, but brown out protection as well. Brown outs can do some serious damage as the equipment starts to turn off due to low power but then suddenly has all its power back. It also allows my HTPC (and other PCs) to power down gracefully - making Windows very happy.
So this means you recommend getting the whole house surge protector AND also getting a separate surge protector for the outlet to my A/V gear?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Spending extra cash on a surge protector is = to unnecessary $ spent on exotic cables
Not true at all. Not even close. Not a valid comparison in the least.

Several years ago a transformer blew on top of the pole across the street from our court. My TV, cable box, and receiver were plugged into a $40 Tripp Lite surge protector. Not top of the line by any means. The Tripp Lite fried. Burned to a crisp. Turned completely black...but did its job. The small stereo in the rec room was plugged directly into the wall, and was ruined.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Surge protection is mainly piece-of-mind for me rather than a necessity. A relative just took a lightning strike and lost a whole lot of electronics but they used cheap Belkin power strips rather than better surge protectors.

I'd get the APC Surgearrest for the amp and TV and either plug the amps directly to the wall or get Emotiva's high-current CMX-2 or 6 for them.

·
Banned
919 Posts
So this means you recommend getting the whole house surge protector AND also getting a separate surge protector for the outlet to my A/V gear?
I would. The whole house SHOULD protect your entire house...but what if the lightning strikes a tree in the back yard and the electricity enters the house from someplace other than the main line? A two layer approach is what I recommend. It is also a "buy it once, have it forever" type of expense, so why not do it?

Reactions: witchdoctor

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I have a Belkin surge protector for my HT, mainly in case of a lightning strike really.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Monster Power

I have been using a Monster Power conditioner for many years. It has saved my gear from both power surges and once my kid cranked up the volume my speakers could have blown. Instead the PC tripped and shut down my system, saving it:)

The added benefit is the improvement in SQ, fantastic. Sound stage, noise floor, clarity, all improved. Monster claims they will insure your gear from a Power Surge if you use their PLC but have never needed to use it. They have many models but here is one I like:

http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Pow...qid=1449935605&sr=8-12&keywords=monster+power

FYI

http://mp1.monsterproducts.com/lit/PRO5100SS_UHC_20A_MANUAL_MPP5100SS20A.pdf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks. Any thoughts on a good starting point to read up on line conditioners?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My electric company will install a whole house device called "zap cap" for approx 7-8 dollars per month fee. Supposed to cover replacement of any surge damaged devices--- computers, tvs, air conditioners....... I will look into the actual terms since I may replace my heat pump soon and wish the protection. Anyone have any experience with this coverage. From TECO in Florida.
Edit..... Yikes --- checked some reviews . Will need to see if this will really provide coverage.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks. Those look like great product review and recommendations sources. I was hoping for an article or two that would address the question of whether they improve your listening experience. For example this thread has people in both camps making persuasive arguments for and against. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1258060-power-conditioners-worth.html . The thread notes that this issue has been debated for a while. I bought a decent surge protector so I am comfortable that my equipment is protected but now wonder if its worth it to invest in a conditioner. And by worth it I mean will there be a noticeable difference in sound quality or is there no real difference. I am going to keep looking through the threads but don't think there will be a definitive answer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts