AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment bldg that is ~50 years old. Because of this I have no three prong outlets. How much good is it going to do me to purchase a high grade surge protector given these circumstances? If I buy expensive components for my HT am I risking serious damage? TIA

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"Because of this I have no three prong outlets. How much good is it going to do me to purchase a high grade surge protector given these circumstances?"

A large amount of surge protectors divert the surge voltage to ground. Since you don't have a ground (third prong) they won't be able to offer any protection.

Brickwall surge suppressors *might* work for you but you should talk to one of their applications guys to find out for sure.

http://www.sellcom.com/brickwall.html

I use a pair of their 15 amp audio models in my system.

For safety reasons you may need to install a ground anyway otherwise your entire system will be floating and potentially dangerous.

Shawn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thaks for the reply Shawn. I called them and they told me that their product would indeed work in my situation, albeit not ideally. Just in case I get ambitious (not too likely) how would I go about grounding maybe one or two outlets (without tearing out the walls)?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Take a light bulb and connect one lead to the hot side and the other lead to a water pipe. Does it light up the same brightness of when put in the neutral? Theres a good ground. Also try from the hot to the screw on the cover plate. It may be the box the outlet is in is already grounded, all you need is a trip to home depot to get the right plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.