AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to protect my HTPC setup as well as my home HT gear (ethernet lines, PS3, switches, ectc.). I don't know what I really need-have been reading through various articles and from what I have been reading it seems that everything is either too expensive or a wast of money. I have my HTPC in my office with a 30ft. HDMI cable running to my Pioneer 5020, and have ethernet hooked up to my PS3, Tvix media streamer, and my Dish Network receiver all via an ethernet switch. I want to be protected basically from lightning strikes (had one about a year ago and killed my router, a cheap TV, and my garage door opener unit). I don't want that to happen to my quality stuff. I am guessing that I would need two units-one in the office (where the PC is) and one in the living room with my HT gear and HDTV. $100 for each device would probably be my limit, or is that just wasted money unless I go extreme? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST-DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED

·
Registered
885 Posts
I've had rather good luck with the basic APC units, 550VA or so. They run about $40 each. You will need one for each grouping of a major and minor item, i.e., one for a PC and router, one for a TV and cable box, one for a receiver and DVD player, etc.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeman /forum/post/16983929

it seems that everything is either too expensive or a wast of money.

That is pretty much the case. You get what you pay for, and to get any sort of real protection you need to pay at least $100. Be aware that nothing is going to give you bullet-proof (or lightning-proof) protection. I worked in a AV sales and repair shop for a few years in the late 90s, and we saw a lot of lightning-damaged equipment. Lightning is random and unstoppable. If you're going to get hit, you're going to get hit and no amount of expensive equipment is going to guarantee your protection.

The best you can do for not-too-much money is to put a cheap UPS on any really important devices. A UPS won't protect from a truly catastrophic lightning strike, but it will protect from the equally dangerous (and much more common) undervolt / overvolt situations that happen any time there is a power line hiccup. They have built-in surge suppression and conditioning that is as good as a quality surge suppression, plus have the added benefit of keeping your equipment running during brief brown-out and full power loss situations. They will also give you some added protection from minor / peripheral lightning strikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.