AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just finished setting up one of these and to be fair wasnt expecting what I saw..

The picture was fantastic!! Colours were beautiful ,it was way too bright -had to turn the brightness down below the Sony recommended of 50,The blacks were magnificent-and this was via s-video -with no line doubler????

I really cant believe what im seeing-I looked at a Nec 6pg the other week owned by a pal of mine that only has about 400hrs on it-been ISF` calibrated...and I truly think the 1272 picture was better..In fact same damn picture as the G70 -bar a little loss in brighness-with if anything-and I dont believe im saying this-better colours..

IM STUNNED its so good I dont want to sell it..and setting it up..my god so easy...

If these 1272`s come up like this i cant figure why they aint grabbing the title of best bang for buck out there???

Is this right what im seeing? Have i just got a real good example...

:confused:

·
Registered
10,354 Posts
I love mine. I've had it for 3 years now and I truly love it.

I only consider upgrading because I figure if the 1271 is this good the 1292 must be better. (Although that may not be the case for DVD since the native res is very low.)

-Brian

·
Registered
448 Posts
I too agree, i have a vph 1252 which is the same as the 1272

the picture is fantastic.

why does this forum diss the sonys?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
got a sony 1271q and am really happy with it, its like that "show time rotissierrie" from mr popiel set it and forget it (convergence)..........

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
The only thing those Sony's lack is EM focus, they've got everything else. One doesn't notice the deficiency in focus capability with lower res stuff, so yeah, it should look great.

I wouldn't call the 1292 an "upgrade" either, one of them will look very dim compared to the blindingly bright 127x's. Much better resolving capabilities, and great color, but as loud as a hovercraft, and, I'm not kidding, dim by comparison.

Yes the Sony's are the best "bang for the buck" but anyone who knows is keeping their mouth shut because replacement tubes are a kings ransom and used whole projectors are dirt cheap. If everyone knew they looked so good, the supply of tube donor machines would evaporate.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep "a big A dude.." ;-)

Jaw-dropping 1272 here...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have a feeling that the reality is with dvd that between the 1272 and the top 8" and 9" there is little in it-maybe a little brightness difference here and there -its touted that the Necs have better colours-but I believe they use Sony tubes-so this may well be a fallacy-the top Marquees might be a little sharper on dvd-but apparent on dvd...uummm..

I would guess that in the past ,very miniscule differences have been played up-you only have to look at some of the threads the G70 is WAY better than the 8000 ETC..

This is exaggeration of the highest kind..probably the truth in difference is like this....

Cine 9- 100/100

G90 - 99/100

Marquee 9500lc ultra-98.5/100

Nec 135xl-98/100

G70-97.5/100

1272-97/100...

Having seen all the above projectors-and all well set up-this may be my take on the situation-I dont know what the other members think?

IF this is true then something like the 1272 is one hell of a bargain...as is the 8000-it really makes you wonder why-if your MAIN viewing is dvd,you would spend more?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Two 1272's here. They put a smile on my face every time I fire them up.

Also, I don't think it would make economic sense to upgrade the machine.

How much more performance are you going to get with a DVD source?

Jim

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I would agree with your rating scale. These are, after all, all graphics grade front projectors. You can throw a blanket over them all they are that close in quality. What differences we debate here are very minor and wouldn't even be noticed by non-enthusiasts. BUT, you must view high resolution material with them before you decide the lack of EM focus is not noticable. To my eye, EM focus is clearly noticable when lacking. If a low res signal is used, like a line doubler, they are all VERY close, but move up to scaled DVD at better than line tripled resolution and you'll see the ES focus machines have a less dynamic, involving image due to a certain flatness of focus.

Also, the original manufacturer of NEC tubes(for the PG and XG's anyway) is Panasonic(MEC). You may have thought it was Sony because Sony G70's and NEC XG135LC's use the same tube with different pinouts. The NEC tubes have proprietary red phosphor according to an article written by Joe Kane years ago, that I read in Stereophile magazine.

PS: The Marquee 8000 with MP mods and astig added is the definition of "bargain". You can get them dirt cheap by comparison to the super high end units, and if you do the MP mods yourself via the "Marquee Maintainance" guide, you'll have a machine that is not only renewed, but looks virtually as good as one of the stratospherically expensive units. Chris Stephens has intimated he has an HVPS mod that will push a Marquee even closer to(beyond if you start with a 9"LC model)the Cine9/G90 level. Just try to get him to reveal it though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Heat,

I have a 1271, they are an awesome machine . I couldn't get over what a fabulous image you can get from s-video. Excellent .

Did you know, that if you have the s-video board( IFB1000) you can input your cable into it then straight out from the ouput of that board and then straight into the fixed s-video input on your projector . That way you can save 2 memories , one for 4:3, the other for 16:9.

One day you could maybe save up for a scaler . I got one last year , your Sony will go into overdrive.

DVD, LD, Video , HDTV, what more can I say, they are fabulous, did I say that already?.

Enjoy your projector

Regards Juz

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Juz,

I have had line doublers before-but ive never had a scaler yet-the thing is the 1272 wont be hanging around long(..unfortunately)-im selling it for a friend...or maybe i wont...!!!!

Also odd is that the picture is as sharp as a tack but the scanning lines are not apparent-IM WONDERING-if the Sony has some kinda doubler installed-I cant remember did Sony make a line doubling board?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had a sony 1270 for 2 years and it was a great projector. It gave out a nice film like image, and I never had it break down on me. A real good cheap way to get a nice image that will out perform the digitals in as far as picture smoothness and contrast.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sony made a line doubling card which was used in conjunction with the pc-1271 controller and the higher-end Sony PJs. The card takes up like slots in the controller and had some large power requirements (wouldn't work in the pc-1270 controller because of this.)

The Sony 12XX series (especially the 1252 and the 1272) are definitely excellent PJs.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Interupted while typing...

The line doubler took three slots in the controller.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
HEAT, I'm going to have to disagree with your ratings, sorry. I didn't say anything before, but there is NO WAY a 1272 is 97/100 when a XG-135 is 98/100. The 1272 is more like 85/100 IMHO.

As a former 1251 owner, and having seen many 12xx's - including two 1272's - I do not think they are anywhere near as good as the EM focus machines you list. The first time I saw an XG my jaw hit the floor - and this was after seeing many 12xx's, including mine.

Even NEC PG's are so much sharper and brighter - it is quite noticable, even on DVD. I now own a Xtra - and it slaughters all off the 12xx's I have seen. EM focus is essential, even for DVD.

Sorry to rain on your parade - but don't get too worried- THEY'RE ALL GOOD.

Mark

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes, the 1272Q is awesome....I have seen Marquees, etc... and they may be slightly better but for DVDs there really is not whole lot of difference...all these machines were top of the line graphics grade CRT projectors.

HDTV is pretty good...I have a OTA tuner and it looks great on my 1272Q. I think that the HD standard should have been higher...HD is better than my line doubler and high-end DVD player, but not a great deal better. Plus there is a great lack of HD programming.... so yeah get a scaler/HTPC and really see what that 1272Q can do!

-Audiophil

On a side note, NTSC broadcasts upconverted to 1080i are surprisingly good.... I can see up the skirts of chicks on those crappy dating shows on WB HD... :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had my 1272 calibrated today.....got better than my own calibration....my god what a picture....

It took a whole day...and worth every second...

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
my first data grade was a sony 1272

i used it with a Panasonic line doubler this combo

never failed to impress me. i now use the 1292

yes the gentle 60db hum is a bit distracting but this

will give you a chance to hone your carpentry skills

building a hush box

and to get a bright image you need to run it at 960p

but this thread is about the 1272

one of the best es focus if not the best ever made