AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi -

I've been lurking here for some time, as a lot of searches I've made in a home music studio project have led here and it's clear there are a lot of great folks and info in this forum.

First, some background:

I'm at the end of a long basement renovation project that's been plagued with poor communications with the contractor, compounded by questionable workmanship in a lot of areas.  Many of the issues are documented in this thread at diychatroom.com (hope it's not against rules to link to other forums).

Anyhow, one of my biggest concerns has been poor coordination between the GC and subs, who will rush in, slap something up without *any* consultation (and often without any common sense) and then moan when I tell them it needs to be re-done.  I'm probably a pretty demanding client, but I am also a contractor in my own line of work and am just boggled at what I'm seeing in residential construction here.

The project has been to expand and re-finish our basement, which will include a guest bedroom, family room, and home office which will double as small rehearsal space and home studio (I'm soundproofing it to a certain degree, which was another thing horribly botched by my contractor).  I have to confess I've never been a huge home theatre buff, but do quite enjoy cinema and the plan has been to put a TV and basic HT audio setup in the family room.  This is largely my wife's domain, and she views it mainly as a decorating project - she's the kind of person who thinks you should just put all the speakers inside a closet so they don't clutter up the visuals and who cares how it sounds?  I'm a part-time musician, and audio is important to me, but since my home studio is already pushing the marital limits I'm not going to lobby for anything radical related to HT.

As a result of the above situation, the TV and speaker placement are dictated entirely by aesthetics.  I'm not sure of the HT wisdom, but for audio mixing you'd normally want the main front speakers firing down the long axis of the room.  To make sofa placement more rational in what is largely a big room for my kids to scatter Lego in, the TV and speakers are pointed across the short axis of the room - maybe not ideal acoustically, but more functional.  Dimensions of this room are thus 22'10" x 12'3" and the speakers are firing along the 12' span.  There are also a lot of bulkheads due to vent ducts etc.

The hardware involved is:  

TV:  Samsung 60" 1080p 120Hz LED Smart TV (UN60FH6200)

Receiver:  Denon AVR-1513

Speakers:  Boston MCS 160 5.1 surround system (bundled with receiver as part of HTIB)

Source:  mainly Apple TV 3

Here's the actual question:

The contractor put in-wall wiring for 5.1 speakers, and the points at which the wires exit the walls is very high:  5'8" in front, 6'4" in rear.  I gather that the preferred height for various speakers is around ear level, which is way off the levels at which the wiring is run.  I'm debating whether to just drill new holes and re-fish the wires, along with patching the other holes, or do as my wife says and just hang the speakers way high (she wants it done now, and does not want to see any wires).  I could use some swivelling stands and just point the speakers down, but am wondering what the HT gurus in this forum would recommend.  Honestly the acoustics in this room are so horrible that it probably won't make much difference (and my wife is currently vetoing any treatment, although I'm usually pretty good at wearing her down in the long run).

Please see attached pics (TV, speakers not hung yet).  Would appreciate any comments or recommendations.

pr

·
Registered
482 Posts
You could re-fish the wires, but since you already have the cables pulled, why not mount them there first and give it a try? If you're satisfied, you'll save yourself the extra work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban  /t/1521427/surround-5-1-speaker-placement-what-to-do-with-really-high-in-wall-wiring#post_24455624

You could re-fish the wires, but since you already have the cables pulled, why not mount them there first and give it a try? If you're satisfied, you'll save yourself the extra work.

Thanks!

I always love it when the reply my 800 word diatribe can be reduced to one line of common sense...  I think I just needed to vent.

I'll mount on stands in the present location and angle downward - I suppose the high wiring could also be good if I ever get speakers with a longer vertical footprint (unlikely).

pr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_nebrowski  /t/1521427/surround-5-1-speaker-placement-what-to-do-with-really-high-in-wall-wiring#post_24473780

How did it end up sounding with the speakers up high? Your setup is very similar to mine and I am about to install my rear surrounds.

Sorry - got real busy with the home studio soundproofing.  Pic of current setup is attached - have not gotten round to hiding wires.

I'm fairly happy with the sound - have not really tested it critically with surround material.  Partly I find it looks a bit wrong - I may yet move the speakers down (my wife is the ultimate authority in this room, and aesthetics dictates everything - sound be damned).

Because of how the wires are run through studs, and soundproofing materials behind the TV wall (double 5/8" drywall - studio is on other side) it will be difficult to re-fish those wires.  I may just cut a 1/4" groove with roto zip, stuff the wires in there, and mud over it.  Will wait until I have a bunch of other mudding/painting to do...

My six year old, who had a nasty bout of gastro, is zonked out on the sofa...  he seems to think the sound is fine!

Good luck with your install,

pr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts