AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold my home theater speakers (B&W 600's) and am looking to buy B&W 805's and an HTM-2 for the fronts and center. Would the SCM-8 or the DS-6 be a good match for the surrounds? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The SCM-8 matches the old Matrix series and doesn't match the voicing of the Nautilus series (assuming you are buying N805s and not M805s).

IMO, the DS-6 isn't a very good speaker... It isn't full range (8kHz cutoff) and is basically a plastic box. The SCM-8 is a much better option if you can find a pair. There is also the CDM SNT that you might want to consider...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
stjoh - out of curiosity why did you decide on the 805's vs the 7NT/9NT. I am currently looking at both alternatives and am currently leaning toward the 9NTs - I have them in my home for a demo as we speak?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mit07 - unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to audition any of the speakers so I had to make the decision based on reviews and forums like this. Will be using a subwoofer so I don't need the low-frequency extension of the larger speakers like the 7NT/9NT. Also prefer the look of the 805 over the CDM's. That combined made me decide on the 805's. Heard really good things about the 9NT though.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend using another pair of N805s as surrounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lolittle
Personally, I'd recommend using another pair of N805s as surrounds.
I'd agree. I use N804s as mains and N805s as surrounds (HTM2 center).

·
Registered
733 Posts
"I use N804s as mains and N805s as surrounds (HTM2 center)."

Well, if I were going that far, I'd use N804s as mains and N805s as surrounds with a HTM1 for a center.

In my own HT, I use N804s as mains, with a HTM1 center and old Infinitys for surrounds. Someday, I want to pick up a pair of used N805s for surrounds...

·
Registered
733 Posts
That's AFTER I get a used Bryston Powerpac 250 to drive my HTM1. I use a Bryston 4B ST to drive the N804s.

If I were going with 4 N805s and a HTM2, I'd get a (used) Bryston 9B ST or 9B SST THX to drive the set. B&Ws need proper amplification to sound their best...

·
Registered
174 Posts
stjoh,

if you have the means for proper placement, consider another pair 805s for surrounds. 5 identical speakers is really the only way to go if you want the best possible Home theater sound. Having different speakers for surrounds comes from the world of commercial theaters where that is the only possioble option but for home theater there are different requirements.

I have the 804 fronts HTM2 center and 805 rears. I am in fact seriously considering selling the 804s and getting another pair of 805s just to get that seamless integration. I could get the HTM1 but I am reluctant to spend any more money on this madly expensive hobby, and I do not think the HTM1 is as good match with the 804 as the HTM2 is with the 805.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody. SInce I'm building a new room a might be able to work in anoyther pair of 805's. Also been looking at the SCM-1 which appears to be a flat 805. Anybody's got any experience with that speaker?

Dinn, var i Sverige ar du fran?

·
Registered
174 Posts
stjoh,

I have never heard the SCM-1, but why would you buy that one unless you abolutely have to have a wall mounted speaker? Given the cabinet construction I can imagine that the sound is compromized compared to the 805. The SCM-1 is also more expensive if i Remember correctly.

Jag är från Stockholmsområdet. Är du svensk?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I understand the need for properly matched speakers - but wouldn't 804s as mains, HTM center and 805 surrounds be superior to 805's all the way around? Especially for music? After all - all these speakers use the same tweeter and the same 6.5" bass driver - so they will be properly matched.

I am interested because I'm looking at the same issues with the B&W CDM line - 9NT mains, CNT center, 1NT surrounds - vs 1NT all the way around.

Opinions?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a B&W Nautilus surround sound setup which consists of N802's, N805's and an HTM2 center. I wouldn't bother with the SCM-1's unless you have to have wall-mount surrounds to save space.

My setup is still incomplete as my 5-channel digital amp is weak and I'm still saving up for the new Nautilus ASW 800 series sub. I'd like to replace my amp but I'm waiting for a new 7-channel digital amp like the Bel Canto series but with a FireWire input from a DVD universal player.

If you do get the N805's, I suggest getting the B&W stands that go with it. I also have the B&W stand for the HTM center so I can place it on the floor under my HDTV and angle it up to my listening position.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The CNT center and the 1NT are pretty much identical yes. As is the 805 and the HTM2.

But the 9NT is far from the same as the CNT and the 1NT. It has a different midrange driver. And it is a three way speaker. That basically means that from 4kHz and down it will sound different then the CNT. The frequency response, the phase charchteristics, the distortion and the dispertion charachteristics all differs.

Since I have this configuration but with the 804, HTM2 and 805, I have learned the hard way that the match is not ideal. I just wish I had known that before. The 804 is a better speaker than the 805 so for 2 channel music performance is improved yes, but not for multichannel. Multichannel depends on the performance of 5 speakers together, so if you "upgrade" just 2 of them it will not get you much. I used to run the 805 + HTM2 and no surrounds first, and let me tell you that the front stage integration was far better.

It doesn't sound bad the way I have it now, it is quite good, but the front stage seamlessness was markedly better with 805+HTM2.

So in short, you will improve your 2 channel sound, but you will lessen your multichannel performance by going with mismatched mains. But as i said it still sounds quite good, so you just have to decide which is more important - 2 channel or 5.1.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Unless you're looking for a HT that will also do multichannel music, I'd say go cheaper and use 601s or 602s for the rears. These are surround speakers we're discussing, right? My 601s have served me well for four years as surrounds with CDMs for the fronts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maccur,

what is the principal difference in your opinion between multichannel music and movie soundtracks? Overlooking the fact that you might actually care less about the performance of one of them in relation to the other.

Both consists of recorded sound in a 5.1 format. They are both mixed and monitored on the same kind of system: 5 identical speakers and a sub.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all replies. It's interesting to see that everybody recommends monopole speakers which is against the popular belief that dipole/bipole surrounds are preferred for movies. Understand that B&W recommends monopoles which I guess is why they no longer manufacture any bipole/dipole (as far as I know anyway). Is anybody using that type of surround speaker with their B&W's?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

"So in short, you will improve your 2 channel sound, but you will lessen your multichannel performance by going with mismatched mains. But as i said it still sounds quite good, so you just have to decide which is more important - 2 channel or 5.1."

Interesting. I only use my system for 5.1 HT and 2.1 music - no multichannel music. I would agree that for multichannel music 5 identical speakers would seem to be ideal. Regarding HT - I have tried both front soundstages - 1NT/CNT (a step down from the Nautilus line but a good analogy) and the 9NT/CNT. The 9NT/CNT setup is much better for 2-channel music - and the front soundstage is as seamless as with the 1NT/CNT combo. The 9NT certainly has different drivers and crossover - but the timbre and characteristics of the speakers are so close that the front soundstage is seamless. I'm surprised to hear you say the 804/HTM isn't seamless for HT. Just my opinion - I have never heard the 804/HTM combo.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mit07,

okey if it works for you. But the 804 sounds quite different from the HTM2. The 805 is a seamless match. I would suspsect the same to be true for 9NT, CNT and 1NT since they share the same driver differences. But I have never listened to either one of them so....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.