AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AVIA disk arrived today so I went home for lunch and ran through a few chapters. When going through the test sounds for the surround system, the LS & RS sounds came out of both surrounds at the same time instead of one at a time. When doing the 'in-phase/out-of-phase' test, the sound was on/off instead of alternating. The test sounds are right when using the reciever's setup signals and the DVD to reciever cables are hooked up right. The speakers are wired correctly. Any ideas as to why this would happen?

·
Registered
737 Posts
You're surround sound system is probably the analog Pro Logic Dolby Surround. In that system, the rear channels are mono. I got tests similar to that on my Speed 5 Star DVD and it does the same thing you are describing, since, I too, have Pro Logic. If you upgrade to 5.1 digital surround sound, then, you'll be set. If you have a 5.1 system, chances are that you have it hooked up with the right and left cables only. You need to purchase a toslink fibre optic or a coaxial digital cable wire to hook your DVD player to your surround sound system. I'm pretty sure that's what your problem is. Best of luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
this happened to me & this was the post that solved the problem for me....hope it helps

I've seen this many times before.

Try changing the digital output of your DVD player from "Bitstream" to "AC3" or "DD". This is usually an Audio menu option on the player.

I don't know the details of the different output formats, but I do know if you leave the format set to "Bitstream", you get mono rears.

I have done half a dozen calibrations, and in every case, the DVD player's audio output defaults were set to "Bitstream". The result: Mono rears. The owners did not know they didn't have full 5.1 running because they had done a successful test tone setup using their receiver's internal tones.

Your pre/pro internal signals work fine because they bypass the DD/DTS decoders.

Tom Rosback

you as well

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys nailed it! I am just using the L & R outputs. I will pick up a digital coax this weekend. The correct test tones coming from my reciever threw me off. I will have to check the internal DVD settings tonight.

Thanks,

WTOcel

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
I don't know the details of the different output formats, but I do know if you leave the format set to "Bitstream", you get mono rears.
Really?......what do you have your RP82 set to then?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wtocel
You guys nailed it! I am just using the L & R outputs. I will pick up a digital coax this weekend. The correct test tones coming from my reciever threw me off. I will have to check the internal DVD settings tonight.

Thanks,

WTOcel
You mean "I" nailed it! :D Glad you figured it out. I figured that was the problem because, like I said, my surround sound system does the same exact thing with the test on my Speed 5 Star DVD. I only have Pro Logic and plan to upgrade to 5.1 someday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got my digital coax and got my SL & SR separated. I now have a few other questions. The RCA connections were so tight that I thought I was going to break something getting them on. I assume this is not normal. The plugs are not all the way in, but I have sound so I guess the connection is OK. It is a AR Master Series cable. Should it be that tight?

The 'in-phase, out-of-phase' sounds on AVIA are now much harder to differentiate using the digital coax. Is this normal, or is it a weak/bad connection? With digital, I assume you either have a connection or you don't.

Also, to get the sound out of the correct speaker, I had to set the DVD audio output to 'bitstream'. The other choices were 'PCM' and 'analog 6.1'.

PCM sound assignment was really of-the wall. LF & RF came out of the center speaker with LF & RF cutting on and off, the speakers were suddenly out-of-phase (???) so I know that was the wrong setting. Analog 6.1 are for the individual outputs, so that leaves 'bitstream'.

Hubco - Am I missing something, as this is the opposite of what you posted. I have a Toshiba SD4800 into a Marantz SR8200.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I used AR cables for DVD-A and noticed they were very tight as well....hmm I guess they wont fall off ;) As far as hubco goes, I guess he's realizing that his post is not as correct as he'd like to think....mine too is set to "bitstream" as this is the correct choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.