AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps the knowledgeable members of this forum would be able to advise on the following aspects of surround / multi-channel digital audio authoring (movie DVD recording) or transcoding (for HTPC archived & served / backed up from DVD movie content):

----------------------------

1. Are there any cost-effective (i.e. freeware, shareware, or software reasonably priced for non-commercial use, meaning, to me, under $150) software tools to create DVD-compatible 5.1 or 6.1 DTS (preferred) or Dolby Digital surround audio streams? The source is likely to be 6 WAV files (PCM or another common codec) or 3 pairs of stereo files - from a camcorder plus portable MD recorder, etc.

Also, are there any cost-effective utilities that allow to import / edit / save 5.1 or 6.1 (preferably 24 bit / 96KHz or better) audio?

2. Speaking of backing up DVD's and converting them to Windows Media 9 (with Windows Media 9 surround audio) using Windows Media Encoder 9, what are the necessary codecs / reg. keys / other software required for the Windows Media 9 encoder to encode directly from .VOB video and .AC3 (Dolby Digital surround audio) files (i.e. bypassing a step of transcoding first to some common codec AVI file and 6 WAV files)?

Also, is there any way to have Windows Media 9 encoder to encode from DTS surround audio track (directly or by having it split first into 6 WAV files)?

Lastly, can subtitles be somehow flexibly associated with the Windows Media 9 video?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
The best source of info for this kind of stuff is http://www.doom9.org . There is a guide there for encoding AC3 with a program called "BeSweet".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sonic Foundry offers 5.1 surround mixing and output with Acid Pro 4. They are also offering a Dolby AC3 encoding option as a plug-in. (Extra cost). You can go directly to the Win 9 Media encoder if you want to. Several over at Acidplanet.com have posted 5.1 windows audio mixes.

Many of us think that 5.1 output with a Dolby AC3 option will be available with the next version of Vegas Video. If that happens, you will have multitrack audio recording/mixing and surround output along with a great Video NLE.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Softencode (AC3) is no longer for sale, but is still available for download if you search diligently.

Surcode (DTS) used to be available, but I can't find a download site anymore. If anyone has a link, please PM me. I probably have something nice to trade:)

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.