AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 newbie questions i hope i can get an easy answer to. first, due to the constraints of my room i am going to use two in ceiling speakers for the surrounds.

I already have purchased 2 polk rc65i's which will match the rest of my system. my question one is how far behind my seating are should these be placed in the ceiling and how far apart? they will be behind a couch and between an open living area and kitchen. secondly, since i will be mounting them in the ceiling, where there is blown insulation in the attic should i build a small box to go above the speaker? thanks in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
i think general rule of thumb is a couple feet ( for side wall mounting) , you might want more since the sound will be coming from above , otherwise it might sound just like it was in the sky instead of around you. one thought is you could temp hang them up there somehow and see how it sounds at diff distances.

as far as distance apart, is this the rears for a 5.1 or 7.1 ? if for 5.1 prob would want further apart to give imaging. if for 7.1 ( already have sides ) you might want them closer together. but not to close to cover yourself for future formats such as True HD where all channels will be discreat.

i would think you would want something to keep the insulation out of the driver it could really mess with it. is there any baffle/ enclosure that comes with or is recemanded for your speakers you bought? if not you prob could use just about anything to keep insulation off speaker just make sure whatever you use is fastened down well nothing worse than rattling and buzzing from vibrations :) also might need to check with polk if you are wanting a sealed box to keep insulation off the size ( volume ) will likely effect performance of the speakers.

i am deff not all knowing :) so dont take what i say as final, just some suggestions and thoughts since no one else has posted . hope it helps. also check out Dolby site they have diff angles and such for diff surround formats. ( most of there stuff i think is for wall or stand mounting but it may help you out also )

cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.