AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the only location for my surrounds is behind me on a shelf, can I angle them out so they create a larger wall reflection to the sides of my seats and diffuse the sound? They would be about 3 feet back, 3 feet up and 5 feet apart.

And should I then configure them as side or rear surrounds?

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
You can do anything you want to. Really just try it and see what works. Me personally I would leave the speakers pointed towards the screen. I think if you only have 2 surrounds you probably want to set them as sides for 5.1. Back surrounds are only used in some movies so you would be missing surrounds quiet often. Can you spread them apart further than 5 feet tho? I would go for corner placement if putting them on the sides is not an option.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
If the only location for my surrounds is behind me on a shelf, can I angle them out so they create a larger wall reflection to the sides of my seats and diffuse the sound? They would be about 3 feet back, 3 feet up and 5 feet apart.

And should I then configure them as side or rear surrounds?

Even if they are behind you, configure them as side surrounds.
I did it for years that way before I got a dictated room and it work just fine.

Ray

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
How would you aim them? I think you want to diffuse the sound by pointing them at the walls.

The way, I was doing it.
Was pointed at me, but not directly.
A little to the off side, right and left.

Not diffuse, but you will enjoy the sound of a surround immersion.

Now a day, recording are more about pin point sound.
7.1 and now Atmos.

Just try-it and enjoy.

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts