AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings -

Looking for a surround receiver in the $300 range.

We don't need earthshaking volumes, as we live in a condo

and desire peace w/ the neighbors.

Room is small -- 12 x 15 or so.

Am currently considering an HK AVR145 and a (refurb) Marantz SR4600.

Any other units in that range that folks would recommend?

Thoughts welcome.

- Richard

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Onkyo TX-SR504. Retails for $300 and frequently on sale. Some forum members have purchased re-furb models & you may want to do a forum search for this receiver. I bought new several months ago, was on sale & with a rebate. Seems to do the job, has plenty of power, many inputs and many features. Also, which I recently came across, was that Home Theater magazine reviewed it & gave it high marks. One of their Top 5 receivers under $1500 per their web site. Go to hometheatermag.com and read the review. They said "It's an incredible value".

·
Registered
60 Posts
From the recommendations of many on this forum, I got a reburb HK340 from HK Direct on ebay for $290, plus shipping. They seem to sell one or two every day. If you check the completed sales, you can see what they have been selling for the past two weeks. If you bid every day, you might get one for $260 or so.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
The speakers and sub you're matching it with are going to make far more difference in the overall quality of the system than the receiver and their are several quality receivers in the < $300 range. Panasonic XR-55 or 57, Several models from Yamah, Pioneer, HK, Denon and Onkyo. IMO the Onkyo 504 is the best bang for the buck, as many inputs and connection options as you're going to find at the price and a great sounding receiver. If you want to go new it's in the $250 range and up, if you don't mind going refurb which imo is the way to go from shoponkyo.com they have it for $159 which includes shipping and waranty. Use the money saved toward and upgrade of the speakers or sub.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All I know about audio equipment is what I have read on these forums, so I can pass on what I have read. The HK 340 originally had a MSRP of $899, so if you can get it for $260-$290, that seems like a great deal. It has auto speaker set up including equalization, which is a good feature. I don't think the Onkyo 504 has auto speaker calibration, if that is important to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff /forum/post/0

Sherwood RD-7502. Auto set-up, Dual Point Room EQ, XM Ready, 2 x 1 HDMI switching. Check Circuit City for a very low price.

Jeff

That reciver looks pretty good but it is not thx certified, is that a really bad thing? Also its 7.1 would it work with only 5.1 speakers?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
All 7.1 receivers can be used as 6.1 or as 5.1. It's is very simple to select your speaker configuration during set-up. THX certifcation is expensive and there are many products on the market that are well qualified without the certificate. The RD-7502 is a very fine receiver with an extremely competitive feature set that Circuit is currently selling at a bargain price.

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff /forum/post/0

All 7.1 receivers can be used as 6.1 or as 5.1. It's is very simple to select your speaker configuration during set-up. THX certifcation is expensive and there are many products on the market that are well qualified without the certificate. The RD-7502 is a very fine receiver with an extremely competitive feature set that Circuit is currently selling at a bargain price.

Jeff

Thanks alot. I too have been looking for a reciver around this range but i wanted hdmi which this reciver has.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The Onkyo 504 does not have auto speaker calibration. I would have liked that feature. But it does have an audio delay function to help resolve audio sync problems, and this was important to me. I don't know if there is $300 receiver that has both functions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the Pioneer VSX-816 and returned it after a month for a new Onkyo TX-SR504. The 816 had too many bells and whistles and just didn't have the warm sound I was looking for. Plus I had problems with the component out even though I properly assigned all inputs and re-checked my cable connections. The 504 is able to sufficiently handle a small room and I'm running a 50watt sub and LR Paradigm Cinema 220s.

There is no auto setup on the 504 so just get an SPL Meter and it's all good, I've had nothing but smiles when using this receiver. The top side will get warm to the touch so just make sure there is sufficient ventilation.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Jeff - Few questions on the Sherwood 7502. Looks like a nice holdover product until your 1.3 line comes out.

- Is there a manual available on-line or by e-mail?

- Does it transcode / convert / whatever you want to call it / component to HDMI?

- I assume no video upscaling?

- Is it only the european release with binding posts, not spring clips?

- Oh, and which version of HDMI?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
dc_pilgrim:

Regarding your questions about the Sherwood RD-7502:

Somewhere in the company we have electronic versions of the operator's manual. I'll track one down. I'll get it posted on line but it would be faster to send it directly to you. Drop me a note at: [email protected]

The HDMI path is separate and independent. It switches, only. Analog video is not converted to HDMI.

The US version has spring clips for speaker connections.

All HDMI switchers are version agnostic. So the HDMI switch path for the RD-7502 is even compatible with HDMI 1.5 (at least theoretically)

Jeff

·
Registered
29,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel1997 /forum/post/0

All I know about audio equipment is what I have read on these forums, so I can pass on what I have read. The HK 340 originally had a MSRP of $899, so if you can get it for $260-$290, that seems like a great deal. It has auto speaker set up including equalization, which is a good feature. I don't think the Onkyo 504 has auto speaker calibration, if that is important to you.

If you can find the HK under $300 then that would probably be your best bet. Besides the autoEQ, its has 7.1 preouts so you can connect an external amp in the future, On Screen Display, audio sync delay, iPod connectivity, plus HK's Logic 7 processing in addition to Dolby PLIIx, plus independent adjustable crossover settings for front, center, rear and surround speakers. It has 8 digital inputs, 3 optical and 3 coaxial digital inputs on the rear plus one of each on the front. And it also has zone 2 capabilities so you can listen to one source in the main room and a difference source in a separate room. You can also convert composite and s-video to component. One more feature is the input labeling. You can rename your inputs if you choose (ie XBox, PS2, etc)

The 340 is more in the league of the Onkyo 703 instead of the 504. Its a steal under $300.

Like you said the HK 340 originally list for $899 while the Onkyo 504 is $299-$399 tops. Not a fair comparison.

·
Banned
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCanuck /forum/post/0

Greetings -

Looking for a surround receiver in the $300 range.

We don't need earthshaking volumes, as we live in a condo

and desire peace w/ the neighbors.

Room is small -- 12 x 15 or so.

Am currently considering an HK AVR145 and a (refurb) Marantz SR4600.

Any other units in that range that folks would recommend?

Thoughts welcome.

- Richard

I thought the Pioneer VSX-1016 was a very exceptional reciever for the price. The auto calibration and equalization is very nice. I really like the Auto mode ewhere it will identify the best surround processing for the input type. It also offers numerous sorround processing options that you can select. Its also THX certified and has THX processing to selection from. Did I mention 100W x 7 channels and of course the subwoofer output.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.