AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, recently got a pair of Revel F36s with the matching center. Loving them so far! I currently have the surrounds from my previous setup (Polk FXI A6). Can anyone recommend dipoles that are a closer match to the f36 fronts?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Are you sure you want dipoles?

Revel S16 (on wall), M16 (monitor on stand) are possibly better choices so you can aim them at the listening area.

S206 is the bi-polar match for F36's. I only use them for applications where each side aims at a row of seating in rooms with multiple rows of seats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you want dipoles?

Revel S16 (on wall), M16 (monitor on stand) are possibly better choices so you can aim them at the listening area.

S206 is the bi-polar match for F36's. I only use them for applications where each side aims at a row of seating in rooms with multiple rows of seats.

thanks for the reply! My room setup only allows me to place the surrounds on the sides of my couch and so I’ve found dipoles to give a better “surround” effect than the regular bookshelf speakers I use to use as surrounds. At least that’s been my experience so far. We often don’t sit in the middle of the couch either (usually to one side since it’s an L shape couch). Seems like a lot of people recommend dipoles in this situation? I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
thanks for the reply! My room setup only allows me to place the surrounds on the sides of my couch and so I’ve found dipoles to give a better “surround” effect than the regular bookshelf speakers I use to use as surrounds. At least that’s been my experience so far. We often don’t sit in the middle of the couch either (usually to one side since it’s an L shape couch). Seems like a lot of people recommend dipoles in this situation? I could be wrong.
You have a point. Particularly for those seated uncomfortably near the side surrounds.
I've tried almost every possible setup over the years, and have found dipoles can often be a bit "phasey" sounding.
Instead, look into bipoles, omnipoles or quadpoles.
And having 7.1 upconversion makes the biggest difference of all regarding a seamless surround soundfeld.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Hey all, recently got a pair of Revel F36s with the matching center. Loving them so far! I currently have the surrounds from my previous setup (Polk FXI A6). Can anyone recommend dipoles that are a closer match to the f36 fronts?
Not sure you really need dipoles (I use monopoles for my surrounds that are to the sides of my couch, no complaints) nor any "matching" consideration unless you do a lot of multi-channel gaming or music.

For HT the surrounds do such a tiny amount of the output it just doesn't matter...unless your idea of fun is listening to speaker sweeps for hours at a time, as opposed to watching actual video content. :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Recommendation is to have direct sound from all loudspeakers. That means on axis, aiming at the main listener or main listening area. Also recommended to have them a few feet above your head and tilted down. An option some Revel owners use is the M80XC or M55 XC, they use the InvisiBall mounting system that allows swivel and tilt.

If levels are calibrated and you still find the surround speakers too "in your face", reduce the level a bit.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
If you ever play to upgrade to an Atmos system, the ideal setup is mono-pole speakers in every position.
My surrounds are the bookshelf version of my mains, and are on stands at either end of my couch, work perfectly, don't call unnecessary attention to themselves, and SAVED me a few hundred dollars over the bi-pole speakers (never mind that the bi-poles didn't have the same finish as the bookshelfs).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you ever play to upgrade to an Atmos system, the ideal setup is mono-pole speakers in every position.
My surrounds are the bookshelf version of my mains, and are on stands at either end of my couch, work perfectly, don't call unnecessary attention to themselves, and SAVED me a few hundred dollars over the bi-pole speakers (never mind that the bi-poles didn't have the same finish as the bookshelfs).
Seems like the general consensus is I should get monopoles. I am installing 2 atmos speakers this week actually (svs elevations on the wall near the ceiling). Bipoles tend to mess with the atmos effect?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Correct. Sound engineers use mono-poles in all speaker locations to pinpoint where a sound comes from in 3D.
Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts