AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a samsung LCD tv and what I dud in the past with other tvs was take the RCA audio out straight to the surround sound. This new tv has no RCA out. I thought about using optical if it'll work. I have a cable box, ps3, and xbox connected to the tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinguh3 /forum/post/19645878

I have a samsung LCD tv and what I dud in the past with other tvs was take the RCA audio out straight to the surround sound. This new tv has no RCA out. I thought about using optical if it'll work. I have a cable box, ps3, and xbox connected to the tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it should work. Check the TV manual. However, most TVs only output stereo from connected devices, not DD 5.1. And none will pass DTS through to a receiver. So, if you want real surround sound instead of stereo, you need to connect your disc players and game consoles to the receiver instead of routing them through the TV.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinguh3 /forum/post/19645985

I've got the cable box and ps3 connected via hdmi cable though.

If you have an HDMI capable receiver, connect them to the AVR instead. If not, run separate optical or coax audio from the cable box and the PS3 to the receiver for audio. Switching sources is more difficult (nothing that a good remote won't fix). But, the audio quality will be much better.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinguh3 /forum/post/19645985

I've got the cable box and ps3 connected via hdmi cable though.

Doesn't matter. The TV will downmix to stereo unless it specifically states it passes DD 5.1 through the optical from connected sources.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so the general consensus is to get the best sound I should just use regular audio cables (red and white) for each device to surround sound and avoid optical from tv to surround right? Why does this stuff have to be so confusing and why do I have to be so dumb ha ha

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
What receiver do you have? Analog audio (red/white) cables would be okay, but if the cable box has a digital connection (and the game consoles definitely do), and the receiver has digital inputs, that would be a marked improvement.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinguh3 /forum/post/19646450

Ok so the general consensus is to get the best sound I should just use regular audio cables (red and white) for each device to surround sound and avoid optical from tv to surround right? Why does this stuff have to be so confusing and why do I have to be so dumb ha ha

You're half right on this. Yes - send audio directly to the surround system rather than routing it through the TV. No - don't use the analog red/white cables. That's still just stereo, no better or worse than the sound you get through the TV.

The key is using a digital connection to send DD 5.1 and DTS from the devices to the surround system. DD 5.1 and DTS are discrete six channel audio and will give you a much better surround experience than sending stereo and having the receiver create fake surround.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts