1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a headphone/amp combination that will do the following:

- take digital optical output from a DVD player

- output this multi-channel sound to a set of multi-speaker headphones

Any suggestions? I do not want "fake" surround sound output like Dolby Headphone to a pair of 2 speaker headphones. I want headphones with front, center, and back speakers.

I know some of my fellow audio geeks on here must have some suggestions.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I love a good home theater experience, and absolutely LOVE really good two channel playback. That said, I'm an avid gamer as well, so I was looking for a similar solution of surround headphones so I can play at night and watch movies without disturbing the rest of the house.

I had a Turtle Beach X-52 headset with discrete surround drivers connected to my PC. Watching movies on PC was fine, but there is a compromise when you're using discrete drivers: they can't be very big. The X-52's were okay in fidelity with games, but nothing I'd listen to movies with.

I looked at Tritton's AX360, which has an outboard decoder and discrete drivers in the headset. Unfortunately, when auditioning, it sounds a bit worse then the X-52 (IMO). A bit tinny, lacking in bass (lightweight), and sibilant. Once again, okay in games, but for movies? Don't think so.

You may want to really consider Dolby Headphone - the effect is very convincing, since you're only manipulating the signal to just appear behind your head. More importantly, you can focus the center sound (vocals and the important stuff in a movie) on just two, higher quality, drivers.

Turtle Beach's X-4 is nice, but the noise floor (it's wireless) sucks during quiet passages.

What I finally settled on is Astro's A40 Audio System. Their MixAmp might be your best bet - pair with a good set of headphones (I sometimes use mine with my Senn HD650's), and you've got a pretty decent setup. I purchased my MixAmp with their headset, which is several notches above those surround 'cans I previously mentioned, but barely holds a candle to the HD650's.

They have a 30 day money back guarantee - I'd recommend you try out at least the MixAmp and see if that gives you what you want. The closest discrete solution would be Tritton's or, if you can mind the noise floor, the X-4's. However, if you're looking for decent fidelity, you'll probably go the same route I did, and end up in the same place.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
I agree. Don't buy into the multi-channel headphone gimmick. Quality 2-channel headphones with Dolby Headphone processing is the way to go. I've got an Astro MixAmp with Senn HD595 headphones and it sounds great.

Read the large thread in the Xbox forum about gaming headphones. This will also apply to DVD surround sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.