AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am trying to figure out how to get the best quality surround sound for around $300-$350. I have an HD tv, HD TiVo, and an upconverting dvd player. I have an old Sony surround sound, so I have 5 basic speakers. Would I be better off getting a whole new HTIB system or getting a receiver and powered subwoofer and just using the other old speakers? (If I go with something cheaper now, I may upgrade in the future).

For the HTIB systems, I've looked at the Onkyo HT-S3100, the Onkyo HT-S4100, and the Onkyo HT-SR700.

For the receivers, I've looked at the Onkyo TX-SR304. I've also looked at the Onkyo TX-SR505 (Can you use a 7.1 receiver with only 5 speakers at first?)

For the subwoofer, I've looked at the Sony SA-W2500.

I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm just not sure which is the best way to go. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Your budget amount really limits what you can do. Even "bargain" subwoofers like HSU will exceed that amount. How large a room are you trying to fill with the system sound? You may want to look at some offerings by Logitech that work well for gamers and have a good sound quality. They have several HTIB systems within your budget range.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp...kers/&cl=us,en

Or, you could start with the receiver and build from there as your additional cash permits. Yes, you can run a 5.1 system on a 7.1 receiver without any problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would recommend that you do one of two things.

1. If that is all the money you are willing to spend over time you have to go with a HTIB. Onkyo and Yamaha are good names. I am sure if you shop long enough you can find one online in this range. This would be adequate for someone without discriminating tastes who just wants to watch movies, but not be thrilled.

or

2. I would recommend buying one component at a time over time (about 2 years). Start with a good receiver. Several brands Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, and many more make good receivers. Then buy a pair of front speakers and powered SW. I would buy the center and surrounds last. You may even be able to use your existing speakers as surrounds. Once you start appreciating what everything is supposed to sound like you will find your tastes will change. Don't be in a rush to get everything at once. A lot of brands such as Boston Acoustiics make great sounding small speakers.

Take your time

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you just thought a soundbar? Might want to check out Sony CT-100, its right in your price range. Its not going to give you true surround sound. But from the reviews Ive heard its pretty damn good (for what it is).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts