AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new AVR-789, and am getting sound out of only the FL and FR speakers, not C, SW or SL or SR. I was previously getting sound out of all 6 speakers, but now I am not. Since I was getting sound out of 6, I know the wires are connected properly, although before I was using RCA cables from TV to Receiver, now I am using an Optical cable. The speaker wires are in the right leads, the input is set to 5CH Stereo, Surround sound is on. I've got an optical cable from the TV into the receiver, the DVD player goes into the TV. I get sound only up front regardless of which source I use (TV, Tuner, DVD/CD Player). The input is set to Digital and Opt 1.

There are two speaker displays on the front of the unit, on the display screen. The right display indicates the output speaker setup, and it indicates all 6 speakers (FL, FR, SW, C, SR & SL). The display on the left indicates the input speaker array, and it says only FL and FR. Dolby DTS is not on (not sure why).

What gives, what setting am I missing?

Tobman is offline Reply With Quote

·
Super Moderator
16,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobman /forum/post/16953688

I have a brand new AVR-789, and am getting sound out of only the FL and FR speakers, not C, SW or SL or SR. I was previously getting sound out of all 6 speakers, but now I am not. Since I was getting sound out of 6, I know the wires are connected properly, although before I was using RCA cables from TV to Receiver, now I am using an Optical cable. The speaker wires are in the right leads, the input is set to 5CH Stereo, Surround sound is on. I've got an optical cable from the TV into the receiver, the DVD player goes into the TV. I get sound only up front regardless of which source I use (TV, Tuner, DVD/CD Player). The input is set to Digital and Opt 1.

There are two speaker displays on the front of the unit, on the display screen. The right display indicates the output speaker setup, and it indicates all 6 speakers (FL, FR, SW, C, SR & SL). The display on the left indicates the input speaker array, and it says only FL and FR. Dolby DTS is not on (not sure why).

What gives, what setting am I missing?

Tobman is offline Reply With Quote

You need to run the cables from the devices to the receiver. Running from the TV to the receiver will create what you are describing since most TVs only output 2.0 from the digital outs to the receiver. If you want true 5.1 surraound run a cable from the DVD player to the receiver and the settop tv box to the receiver.

S~

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
+1 The digital sound out on "most" HDTV's is only DD5.1 for the internal ATSC/QAM tuner. Any audio feed in from outside the TV will be downmixed to stereo, even on the digital output. "Teachsac" is correct - run Toslink optical or digital audio coax directly from the sources to the a/v receiver

1 - 3 of 3 Posts