AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused, and was wondering if anyone here could clear this up. I've set up my htpc, and things look great using a dvi out to my rptv. I send my audio signal through my spdif output to my surround receiver, and the sound is awesome. When I play a DD5.1 or DTS DVD, my receiver gets all 5.1 channels of audio, as I can see on my receiver, and hear through the speakers.

However, when I select 'DD Surround Sound' on a game (ROTK or Rune, for example), my receiver only gets a stereo signal. I can simulate a surround signal using my processor, but this isn't the same as getting different sounds in the rear speakers. So why does my pc not pass through the full surround signal to my receiver when playing games, particularly when I know that the pc is perfectly capable of doing this while playing DVDs?

I'm using SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio on an Asus MB, and use a digi coax cable to my receiver.

Thanks for any help/advice.

· Banned
7,766 Posts
cuz in order to get DD5.1 out for PC games you have to have an Nforce motherboard with soundstorm. there are no other options at the momment. you may be ablt to get ProLogic I or II out of game that support it, but those are also pretty rare.

shortly, Azelia cards should be coming out that encode to ProLogicII from DirectSound on the fly, which will be cool (just look at Metroid Prime as proof). but those arent out yet either :)

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I didn't realize this. I thought that my pc would just pass the 5.1 signal through the spdif cable, and that my surround receiver would decode the signal. I guess that it doesn't work this way?

Why can't games just use software similar to that used by PowerDVD and the like? I mean, if my pc can output a DVD's 5.1 signal through my pc to my receiver why do I need more hardware? Or am way off on this one? It seems to me that the capability is already in my system.

Any more insight appreciated.

· Banned
7,766 Posts
it's because the DD5.1/DTS stream is already encoded on the DVD that you are playing through PowerDVD. as such, no encoding is required. games arent already encoded as DD5.1 or the like because it is content that dynamicly changes. this means your computer has to encode the DD5.1 content on-th-fly. without hardware assistance (like the Nforce APU), this eats up tons of resources. C-Media is supposed to be making a software DD5.1 encoder, but this eats up like 10% of a P4 3.0's proc time.

· Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks DLJ, that makes sense. :D ...Sort of like Anistropic filtering in a graphics card then...if the hardware isn't on the card or MB, it doesn't do it? I mean, on a faster pc, with a game that uses relatively little overhead, then that 10% might not be such a big deal. I wouldn't mind having the option if there's a software encoder coming.

Do you know if the C-media decoder will work on existing surround sound capable games?...and is the Azelia card you mentioned a sound card or a MB.

Thanks

· Banned
7,766 Posts
the C-Media encoder just takes DirectSound (from any game) and encodes it to DD5.1. Azelia is the new soundcard standard replacing AC97, within the next 6 months we should see several cards that follow that standard.

· Banned
7,766 Posts
"[2004]

CMI9880 audio solution featuring Dolby® Digital Live™ technology selected on high-end Intel branded desktop motherboards launched at Intel Developer’s Forum(IDF), San Francisco."

don't know if that refers to the DD RTCE, or if they have just switchedd gears to ProLogicIIx encoding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.