AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually, to follow up, I think the petition is a bit misguided in asking Apple to provide hardware for surround.

There is no need for this. All Apple need to do is make sure that their DVD player pass the correct bitsream to a digital audio output. There are already plenty of available solutions for digital audio output (Audiophile 24/96, MOTU 828, Tascam US-448/224, Digigram VX Pocket, countless others...)

In fact, I wonder if anyone has even tested to see if the Apple DVD player already passes the digital bitsream?

I really think they need to revise this petition. Asking Apple to provide custom hardware is very different than asking for a minor software update, which is all that may be really necessary...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian,

The HTPC has been working fine, in fact XP hasn't crashed yet! Major improvement in pq. A couple of issues though: one is that there's some auto-start thing happening when certain DVD's are inserted (It think's it's a game disk or something) and the other is that I'm not very happy with the sound quality. It's not nearly as good a my inexpensive Toshiba DVD player as a matter of fact :(

Quote:
In fact, I wonder if anyone has even tested to see if the Apple DVD player already passes the digital bitsream?
Good question. In every thread I've read on this topic it was stated that Apple's software DVD player did not pass SPDIF. I can't recall anyone mentioning if they'd actually tried it or not. I accepted this as fact, never tried it myself and built a PC.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Doug,

If you are running Tweakui then you can solve the autostart problem for those discs. Go to the paranoia tab and uncheck "Autoplay data discs". I think this should solve it. It does for 95, 98, and ME, but I have no exp with xp.

Good Luck,

-Brian

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by porieux

I really think they need to revise this petition. Asking Apple to provide custom hardware is very different than asking for a minor software update, which is all that may be really necessary...
OK, this is second hand - I haven't actually tried it myself, although I soon will, but... according to a music/audio production guru, there is currently no way to play a DVD on a Mac and send the audio through one of the plethora of SPDIF devices (USB, PCI, IEEE1394) to a decoder/receiver. The Apple DVD Player application just won't do it. :-(

So, if I were sending Apple a petition (a friend and I have an ear at Apple, and we've already expressed this), it would simply say, make the stupid software mod so this is an option for us, dammit!

SC

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This device will already pass a PCM stream from the Mac to a receiver:

Edirol

All we need is a software mod by apple to passthrough DD or DTS. I wonder if they just don't want to pay money to dolby or the company behind DTS..

Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.