AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've been doing some research on placement for surround speakers in my new room - and I may have answered part of my own question, but I'm interested in getting some feedback for my room in particular.

The photos attached show the room under construction, and one of them is marked with speaker placement options. Important to note that the width of the room is 14', and distance from the half wall to the TV/window wall is approximately 9.5'. This will be an all-purpose room - behind the half wall will be a desk, and a bed behind that on the far wall. Ceiling height is 7' at the highest and a little lower by the duct work.

I have a row of 3 theater seats that will be 102" wide, which will fit between the base of the fireplace and the corner of the half wall. However depending on placement of the speakers it may be better for them to be centered in the room instead, and extend past the corner of the half wall.

From the edited photo, the "A" location was where I had planned on putting the surround speakers - either on top of the half wall, or mounted on the wall just below the top. But doing so would require pushing the TV and front speakers pretty far to the right to keep things centered. And from what I read it's better to have rear speakers in a 5.1 configuration on the side instead of behind the seats anyway. Even more so in this setup since the "A" position would be directly behind the seats with no breathing room - right?

I would much rather everything be centered nicely, but I don't think that will be possible either way. So, which is the better option? Center the TV to the room and put the rear speakers on the walls in the "B" location, or center the TV to the half wall and put the rear speakers in the "A" location - and if so should they be on top of the wall or mounted on it right beneath the top? The wall is 42" high and the seat backs are 44" high.

Speakers are Monitor Audio RS8 towers and RSFX (bipole/dipole switch) surround, and matching center channel.

Bonus question - where should the subwoofer go? It's an HSU Research VTF2 mk3 down firing sub. Option S1 could be on either side of the TV, but I'm wondering if S2 would be an option? I understand behind drywall is generally a bad idea, but curious if it being a half wall would work. S2 location would put it next to my desk, where I'd generally be while listening to music and more likely to want quick access to the volume on the sub (no remote control on this sub).

Sorry for the long post - thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
First of all, love the pictures/diagrams you've provided. Really helps get a sense of the space better than just saying "viewing distance is x and viewing angle is y". It is a very unique space that you have really put a lot of thought into working as the best possible theater space possible. That being said, asking for advice about speaker placement in such an atypical space is like asking what sounds better; Johnny Cash underwater or Trent Reznor in maple syrup? I have no idea; just listen to Hurt in both scenarios and tell me which you like better.

Video is a little more simple. Not having to turn your head trumps "centered feel" any day of the week. If you want to center the TV to the room, that is totally fine, and may have better feng shui. But just realize the left most seat will become the best seat in the house and the other two will be sub-optimal visually and aurally. If you center to the TV to the half wall, you have a prime seat centered visually, and 2 sub-prime but still good seats in the house. Aurally you simply have to work with what you got. Let your receiver do the work of room correction and hope for the best. Even the best shaped rooms can have weird aural concessions to make. None of those are so apparent as having to literally crane your neck to see the TV.

Given that 14' wide by 9.5' space, I'd simply work with the 14'-step by 9.5' space and call that the optimal viewing room. Everyone else can just adjust.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, love the pictures/diagrams you've provided. Really helps get a sense of the space better than just saying "viewing distance is x and viewing angle is y". It is a very unique space that you have really put a lot of thought into working as the best possible theater space possible. That being said, asking for advice about speaker placement in such an atypical space is like asking what sounds better; Johnny Cash underwater or Trent Reznor in maple syrup? I have no idea; just listen to Hurt in both scenarios and tell me which you like better.

Video is a little more simple. Not having to turn your head trumps "centered feel" any day of the week. If you want to center the TV to the room, that is totally fine, and may have better feng shui. But just realize the left most seat will become the best seat in the house and the other two will be sub-optimal visually and aurally. If you center to the TV to the half wall, you have a prime seat centered visually, and 2 sub-prime but still good seats in the house. Aurally you simply have to work with what you got. Let your receiver do the work of room correction and hope for the best. Even the best shaped rooms can have weird aural concessions to make. None of those are so apparent as having to literally crane your neck to see the TV.

Given that 14' wide by 9.5' space, I'd simply work with the 14'-step by 9.5' space and call that the optimal viewing room. Everyone else can just adjust.
Thanks for the feedback. I understand the best results for sound quality will come from trial and error in the space. Part of the reason for this post is that I won't be able to paint the room till next weekend and will have to move everything in shortly after - so as I'm killing time till then I figured I'd get some opinions.

As you noted, primary concern is the middle seat. Any guests I have over won't know the difference! Since I have some width to work with, the seats have room to move left to right with the final placement of the TV and front speakers in order to keep the middle seat centered between the front speakers.

With the rear speakers, symmetry in the room not my primary concern - however as far as that goes - I neglected to mention that my current setup (with the same speakers and a 60" TV) is in a much smaller room and it all fits in under 90" width (not including the subwoofer - only TV and L+R speakers). Given that measurement, I think my diagram actually shows them taking more space than is probably necessary. I think the TV, L+R speakers, and probably the subwoofer, could fit within the space of the half wall.

Ignoring preference of visual symmetry, That leaves a general question of what would be the best setup in general: everything centered to the half wall with rear speakers mounted on or on top of the half wall ("A" location), or everything centered to the room with the rear speakers mounted on the side walls ("B" location).

And if the answer is still just trial and error in the room, I'll shut up :)

Also still curious about any opinions on the subwoofer but not worried so much since that will be easy enough to move around and test once the room is done.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Center the system on the room's centerline.
You want your R main as far from the FP as possible.
Place the surrounds on the side walls(B), on a 15º above the center seat position.
So with 7 ft run, 36" ear height, the center of the drivers of the surrounds should be about 58.5" above the floor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Center the system on the room's centerline.
You want your R main as far from the FP as possible.
Place the surrounds on the side walls(B), on a 15º above the center seat position.
So with 7 ft run, 36" ear height, the center of the drivers of the surrounds should be about 58.5" above the floor.
Thanks for the feedback! In this configuration should the speakers be switched to Bipole or Dipole?

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! In this configuration should the speakers be switched to Bipole or Dipole?
I've never used either...so try both ways and go with what sounds best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts