AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the ignorant question but I've only dealt with sattelite broadcasts and am forced to use cable this year (complex will not allow dishes) :mad:

I had no problem receiving surround sound with Pro Logic broadcasts on sattelite.

But is this even possible with regular cable (not digital)???

As an FYI Ihave the R/L audio outs from the TV (Hitachi 51s500) going into my Onkyo TX-DS 777 receiver.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Horsehockey on the apartment prohibiting dishes - see the OTARD (link in my sig ) . However, assuming your balcony is not on the southside, you're stuck.

As far as ProLogic on cable - should work just the same as on DBS, assuming the station/channel you're tuning is in stereo (the ProLogic is just encoded on the stereo).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yea, unfortunately my balcony faces the opposite direction.

So for example I should be able to run my coax cable into an antenna input on the back of my TV and simply use the fixed audio output from my TV to the desired input on the back of my receiver?

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Yep - I do that with my TV (the DBS receiver goes through the TV). Works fine - also my TV's OTA gives the ProLogic.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Surround works for me through cable even on the analog channels. All of my digital channels come in as DD (though not necessarily DD5.1). I was quite surprised that the sound was good when I switched from Satellite.

-Trouble

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
CATV has awful audio, but you can still get DPL (Dolby Pro Logic) surround effects with analog cable with a DPL receiver. You need the digital cable box with SPDIF on the back to receive Dolby Digital AC-3.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have E*, switching to TWC soon (I think). Will be getting the 3250HD box (I know HD stations carry the DD5.1 signal). Does anyone know if TWC broadcasts other channels in DD5.1? In their TV listings (even digital channels like HBO), just indicate "Stereo".

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just be sure the Cable service provided by the apartment broadcasts in Stereo. The complex I recently moved out of used their own cable broadcast (not Comcast or any other brand name) and as a result the picture was always fuzzy and most stations were Mono. Yuck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.