AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the good news is I got the Sony 60" yesterday and it looks nice. The bad news is I couldn't get the sound to transmit to my receiver for surround sound.

I have a Scientific Atlanta Digital cable box with DVR from Time Warner. I connected to the Sony with an HDMI cable. I have an Optical cable from the Sony to my Denon AV 2800 receiver. I have the receiver accepting the digital sound from the optical cable (digital source) but it does not play sound. I also have a CD player with an optical cable that I run to the receiver that works fine. I even to took the same cable from the CD player and put it in the Sony out line, but it the sound still does not work.(same cable and same input on the receiver with sound from the cd player but not from the tv set.

I don't know why it does not work, I couldn't see anything in the manual regarding this. Is there something I am missing or do I have a problem with the set?

As a note, I connected the left and right output jacks from the tv to the receiver and I did get sound, but it was not very loud.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
415 Posts
Usually sound from the optical out of the TV would be from the built-in tuner of the TV. I don't think the sound from the HDMI cable to your set would pass out the optical of the TV. Your sound would have to come from the cable box output. Does it have an optical out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I will need to check. What about my dvd player that connects to the tv via hdmi, do I need a separate optical cable for that or will it play from the optical cable from the tv to the receiver.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsglover /forum/post/0

Thanks.

I will need to check. What about my dvd player that connects to the tv via hdmi, do I need a separate optical cable for that or will it play from the optical cable from the tv to the receiver.

HDMI connection by default will be set to send audio to your TV. Go into the audio settings of the cable box and set to Dolby Digital. It will then send the audio out through your optical connection to the receiver. For both the cable box and DVD, you will have HDMI to TV and optical audio to receiver for both. Two HDMI cables, two optical cables.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsglover /forum/post/0

Thanks.

It won't. Directly into the receiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.