AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My parents and I have s Bose surround sound system in our living room. It is a lifestyle v and after that I don't remember the model #. I do know that it has a 5.1 system. 2 front speakers, a center channel, 2 rear speakers and a subwoofer.

Here's my question.
It is definitely an older system and the issue we're having with it is that whenever a movie or something with a lot of music in the background is playing, the speaking sounds muffled! Is there any advice that could be given to fix this problem? It's really difficult to watch tv in there because you can't hear what people are saying! :)
Thank You,
Megan

·
Registered
Sonus faber, Anthem, Monolith and JVC
2,155 Posts
Hello!
My parents and I have s Bose surround sound system in our living room. It is a lifestyle v and after that I don't remember the model #. I do know that it has a 5.1 system. 2 front speakers, a center channel, 2 rear speakers and a subwoofer.

Here's my question.
It is definitely an older system and the issue we're having with it is that whenever a movie or something with a lot of music in the background is playing, the speaking sounds muffled! Is there any advice that could be given to fix this problem? It's really difficult to watch tv in there because you can't hear what people are saying! :)
Thank You,
Megan
Is your system powered by a Bose receiver/ amplifier or a standalone receiver? Do you consider upgrading your system?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well, one could assume it's the old speakers. Bose are not really a well built speaker, especially for the money.

It honestly could very well be the sound quality of the speaker and it's time to upgrade.

If this is a just recent discovery about excess muffledness, the tweeter might be blown and you are only hearing the midrange driver up to 3khz or whatever the crossover is. It could also be damanged from use, or being driven too hard.

Just some ideas

·
Registered
Sonus faber, Anthem, Monolith and JVC
2,155 Posts
It is powered by a Bose Receiver. Yes, my dad has considered upgrading, it is difficult to get him out of Best Buy!
Well, if your dad is considering an upgrade, I would not waste too much time with the Bose system. Most importantly, I strongly advise you to educate yourself about speakers, receivers, room acoustic, placement, setup, etc. before buying anything. There is a ton of information on this forum and other website such as Audioholics. Take your time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if your dad is considering an upgrade, I would not waste too much time with the Bose system. Most importantly, I strongly advise you to educate yourself about speakers, receivers, room acoustic, placement, setup, etc. before buying anything. There is a ton of information on this forum and other website such as Audioholics. Take your time!
Okay! thank you!:)

·
Banned
810 Posts
Well, one could assume it's the old speakers. Bose are not really a well built speaker, especially for the money.

It honestly could very well be the sound quality of the speaker and it's time to upgrade.

If this is a just recent discovery about excess muffledness, the tweeter might be blown and you are only hearing the midrange driver up to 3khz or whatever the crossover is. It could also be damanged from use, or being driven too hard.

Just some ideas
I never thought I'd be defending Bose, but here goes...the speakers are probably fine (as fine as they ever were), when used with the Lifestyle system they work, sort of, and don't typically break. This sounds more like a setup issue, like a missing center channel, perhaps a bad connection to the center, etc. Grab a test DVD and run through a quick speaker check and see if the center is there.

·
Registered
865 Posts

Just some ideas
The Lifestyle systems don't have tweeters, or crossovers. They have small speakers in resonant cubes which are supposed to cover the high and mid frequencies. They also have a bass module which can't be called a subwoofer because it doesn't go low enough. What they do have is good marketing.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Your solution, I'm afraid, is to abandon the Bose and get something better. You know what they say about putting lipstick on a pig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts