AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded an ancient Sony receiver (back from Prologic I days) to a Denon 1907 that I picked up on eBay ($45 ... figure that was a decent deal).

Still figuring out all the settings on it, but I was under the initial impression that I wouldn't be able to get digital out via my TV's optical cable, as most TVs don't convert to 5.1 via optical out.

I can get dolby digital/dts from my bluray + tivo (coaxial + optical), but wanted to get digital from my roku too ... so played around with settings a bit.

Eventually set it up so I can get Dolby Digital from my roku (roku hooked up to Tv via hdmi, optical out from TV to receiver). But only sometimes.

HBOGo I can get dolby digital, VUDU... only for some movies. Netflix + Amazon, no dolby digital all.

My question is, is that just because of how those roku apps are designed, or am I doing something wrong somewhere? Rights issues with some streaming companies maybe? Is there a setting on my Denon that I am missing?

Am I better off going with prologic II or dts neo 2.5 (weird samsung format) for those services where I can't get Dolby Digital?

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
Netflix or Amazon, can't remember which, or maybe both have audio options on the same page where it asks you to push to watch after you've selected a movie.

If you don't manually change the audio by choosing the audio option on the screen it will only be in stereo therefore only giving you Pro Logic type options vs. Dolby Digital.

I hear very little difference between ProLogic choices and DTS choices when those are the only surround choices available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts