AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

I have been skimming through the forums looking for my question (or similar) but did not see anything that clearly answered it.

I am looking for suggestions on placing speakers, subwoofer, and equipment in the living room. I tried to attach the layout but am having problems.

Front Left, Front Center, and Front Right are fairly straight forward (I think).

I am thinking of these options for surround sound:

Option S1 (green): in-wall speakers but will not be placed at 90 degrees of viewing position. They would be closer to 70-75 degrees (slightly to front and right/left).

Option S2 (blue): in-ceiling speakers placed at 90 degrees of viewing position, but they'll be...in-ceiling speakers. I have seen in-ceiling speakers in action at a relative's house and was not impressed.

Rear center speaker, if added, would be a few feet off center and less than 2 feet behind viewing position, is that okay?

Also, I'm looking for suggestions placing the equipment (including receiver, PS4, and Wii). Note that the Wii has an IR sensor that would need to be at TV:

Option E1: Under the wall-mounted TV (equipment would need a stand of some sort)

Option E2: In nearby hallway closet

Option E3: Master bedroom closet (upstairs)

Option E4?: Receiver in closet, but console/devices under TV?

The house is currently under construction and I have options for pre-wires (but don't have the budget for good speakers at this point). What is the minimal I should have the builder do with plans to get okay/decent equipment later?  Just speaker pre-wire and HDMI from TV location to receiver location?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
You don't show the depth of the room. Is the distance really short, making it necessary to place the seating against the wall?

I would place the seating forward at least 3 ft, if possible, so your head is not against that rear wall.

That would maybe place the surround in-walls inline with the seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like 16 deep x 15 feet according to floor plan specs. That's a good idea to have a seats a bit forward, not sure if the wife will like it though. Haha.

I went to the frames yesterday and it would be ~75-80 degrees from center. Not ideal for anyone sitting in corner near the stairs though, oh well.

What do you think? This will be my first 5.1 system.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Sitting in a corner is never a good thing...too much bass.

I've always had my seating away from the walls, anywhere from 3 ~ 5 ft, if not near the mid-point of a long GR.

Such as I have now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, but I didn't see any other option except putting tv at corner with staircase and sitting at opposite corner. That seems even harder to set up speakers and the wife wanted kid's play stuff along window so she has line of sight to him while in kitchen. Sitting where tv is planned ran across my mind too but wasn't sure if there's enough space for tv and speakers along south wall. Think that's a better options? Then rear surround speakers would need to be mounted on wall or ceiling. But I get an option to go 7.1.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
First off, forget the rear channel(s)...that room is not really big enough. The rear channels provide very little, unless you're watching a DTS ES movie. Also by not using rears, that is one or two less things you're trying to find space for.

That is pretty much a bastard room for MC audio. You might give some thought to a Soundbar that does 5 channels. And leave it at that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts