AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here. I'm in the process of selecting speakers for a HT/stereo system. I'm leaning towards B&W CDM-9NTs, CNT and CDM-ASW for the fronts, center and sub, but I can't make up my mind on the rears. The problem I have is that I may not be able to wall mount the SNTs, which means they may have to go on a stand. Since they are a wide speaker this may prove to be problematic. Has anyone else done this?

Would I be better off using 1NTs and stand mounting them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The SNTs are very easy to wall mount. If this is not an option for you - try to get tall stands for the 1NTs - because the surrounds should be about 3 feet over ear level when seated.

I have the 9NTs, CNT and SNTs with a Velodyne SPL-1200 sub. Sounds great for music and movies.

As you may know, B&W has introduced the 700 series. You may be able to get great prices on the NTs.:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mit,

Thanks for the response. It's not the fact that the SNTs mount easily, the problem is I don't have any true areas where I CAN wall mount them. This is due to either not enough room between the ceiling and glass, no wall period, and in some cases I physically can't get the wiring to the speakers in a concealed way . I do NOT want wires dangling up the wall or even neatly tacked in place (i.e that flat monster wire).

I'm not sure that tall stands are possible as well. I've got little kids and a 15-20 lbs of speaker falling from 6 feet or so doesn't thrill me. (I know, I know, what the heck am I doing with B&W speakers and rug rats!!) Frankly, I'm not too concerned about meeting exact Dolby 5.1 standards for speaker positioning of the surrounds. I am wondering if it's at all feasable to stand mount the SNTs taking into consideration their broad profile?

Anyone???

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You may want to send an email to B&W to get their opinion. The SNTs are not designed to be stand-mounted. If you need to use stand-mounts because of your unique situation - why don't you simply get the 1NTs? The 1NTs are intended to be used on stands.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
why don't you simply get the 1NTs? The 1NTs are intended to be used on stands.
I forgot to add the obvious, cost. I get a better deal with the SNTs versus the 1NTs. If I can stand mount the SNTs without too much hassle it allows me the maximum flexibility for later wall mounting if the situations arises and it saves me some cash. If not, I'll spring for the 1NTs realizing that it may not be as practical to wall mount those speakers should I change the HT setup.

I've been talking myself in circles for weeks now over this. I joked with my wife that if my life depended on making a decision in this case, I'd be dead.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The SMT's are only 5 inches deep x 15" high and 15" tall. You CANT mount them on a stand. Have you seen them?

I would never mount the 1nt's on a wall either. What about a different room?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Trashcan - why did it take 5 posts to state the obvious? Want to save some money? Get the 601s or 602s for surrounds. They will sound great. When more funds are available, or if you find yourself with a better room to work with - upgrade to the better B&W speakers. B&W dealers have a great upgrade program - and it seems ideal for you in this situation.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
The SMT's are only 5 inches deep x 15" high and 15" tall. You CANT mount them on a stand. Have you seen them?
Sure you can, but is it practical? I was thinking of machining a billet aluminum or S/S "L"bracket to attach on the existing SNT bracket and then to a speaker stand. The width is the biggest issue. I guess what I was really asking is has anyone ever tried this?? If someone says, "yes, and it worked" I'd go that route. If they said "no, it sucked.." I'd look at the other option. And yes I've seen them.....

We have two rooms to choose from and although one room has one configuration where these (SNTs) will work, we may not always use that room as the HT location. Flexibility is the key.

Quote:
Want to save some money? Get the 601s or 602s for surrounds. They will sound great.
It's not about the money, but it is....I can afford to get the 1NTs, but if I can make the SNTs work I will. The 601s and 602s are out for color reasons. It is a good idea that I had not previously explored. Thanks..

After all the debate and input, I think I'll be going for the 1NTs, as they offer the most flexibility.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Guys,

Check the new b&w 700 line - it has surround speakers with switchable direct radiating or dipole surround modes!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yves Smolders
Guys,

Check the new b&w 700 line - it has surround speakers with switchable direct radiating or dipole surround modes!

Those do look neat! I remember M&K have such a product, it's great to see this in B&W IMO :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.