AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally my intention was to get 4 NHT SuperZero 2.1's for surrounds in a 7.1 system. I am mating them with Salk Supercharged Song towers (LR) and a Salk Supercharged Song Center. My issue is, I am unsure if direct radiating is the way to go since I will have 2 rows of seats. The first row will be about 12-13 foot back to the listener (from the screen) with the second row another 5 feet or so beyond that. I cannot place the side surrounds behind the second row. 17 feet is probably the best I can do, maybe get it to 18 but I would have to get creative. These will also be wall mounted and anything past 17 feet would require them to be mounted at about 8 foot height. I can still do direct radiating for the rear surrounds. The side surrounds will also be 3 feet on one and side and about 5-6 feet on the other side from the listening position. For reference the room is 26 ft long by 18 ft wide with the actual seating area in a 26 ft by 14 ft area as the screen is on the 14 ft wall with a hallway opening the other 4 ft.

Should I switch to a dipole or bipole for the side speakers and why?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdgate  /t/1471283/surround-speaker-choice-when-using-2-rows-of-seats#post_23278347

Originally my intention was to get 4 NHT SuperZero 2.1's for surrounds in a 7.1 system. I am mating them with Salk Supercharged Song towers (LR) and a Salk Supercharged Song Center. My issue is, I am unsure if direct radiating is the way to go since I will have 2 rows of seats. The first row will be about 12-13 foot back to the listener (from the screen) with the second row another 5 feet or so beyond that. I cannot place the side surrounds behind the second row. 17 feet is probably the best I can do, maybe get it to 18 but I would have to get creative. These will also be wall mounted and anything past 17 feet would require them to be mounted at about 8 foot height. I can still do direct radiating for the rear surrounds. The side surrounds will also be 3 feet on one and side and about 5-6 feet on the other side from the listening position. For reference the room is 26 ft long by 18 ft wide with the actual seating area in a 26 ft by 14 ft area as the screen is on the 14 ft wall with a hallway opening the other 4 ft.

Should I switch to a dipole or bipole for the side speakers and why?

My advice...never use a dipole, unless you have seats within 4ft of the surround speakers. Bipoles or wide dispersion speakers are what you want for those side surrounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts