Am in need of some help choosing surrounds to complete my 5.1 system

Currently have

Vandersteen 1C Mains

Vandersteen VCC-1 sig Center

ED A5-350 Sub

Marantz SR8400 going to upgrade to Pioneer Elite SC-07 any day now

Oppo BDP

I am considering Axiom QS8 or Von Schweikert TS-150

Which of these 2 or something else do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My vote is for the Q's bigtime. Yes, I am an Axiom owner for many years now, however, I have owned many other brands in the past. I think they are one of the best surrounds for the money..good luck

Randy

·
Registered
333 Posts
Between those two I would also go with the Axioms not just because I own them and think there are a phenomenal surround speaker but because even if the TS-150s are better I can't believe they are possibly worth 2 1/2 times the price of the QS8s.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If the TS-150s will still have warranty coverage then I couldn't recommend one over the other at the same price point since I haven't heard the TS-150s.

One thing to consider is the top and bottom driver on the QS8s. If that would cause placement problems then I would lean toward the TS-150s otherwise best I can say is toss a coinsorry!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Why not complete the system with Vandersteen rears? These match your fronts and center. The MSRP is $999 and I would imagine you could get them for much less than that. I didn't see anything on audiogon but if you wanted them I am sure they would turn up.

Having 5 matching speakers is a must for 5 channel audio. I really wish I could afford to finish out my upgrade, as Blu-Ray concert discs would sound SO much better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL they actually match the LCR but I dont want them on my wall. I was not under the belief that it was so important for the rears to match the LCR. I was considering a different center channel but that was a BIG NO NO after I listened.

Right now I am leaning towards the VS TS-150 and may buy both and return the speaker that I dont want as they are not so big/heavy to return

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16960457

Why not complete the system with Vandersteen rears? These match your fronts and center. The MSRP is $999 and I would imagine you could get them for much less than that. I didn't see anything on audiogon but if you wanted them I am sure they would turn up.

Having 5 matching speakers is a must for 5 channel audio. I really wish I could afford to finish out my upgrade, as Blu-Ray concert discs would sound SO much better.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybroker /forum/post/16963975

LOL they actually match the LCR but I dont want them on my wall. I was not under the belief that it was so important for the rears to match the LCR. I was considering a different center channel but that was a BIG NO NO after I listened.

Right now I am leaning towards the VS TS-150 and may buy both and return the speaker that I dont want as they are not so big/heavy to return

Throw a pair of these in the mix. You have 30 days to return them if you don't like them. I have a pair - they ain't goin anywhere. They are very impressive surrounds - and they come with their own wall brackets.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybroker /forum/post/16963975

If you plan on listening to 5.1 channel Music it is VERY important. I don't know if you listen to Blu-Ray concert disc or SACD's, but both would greatly benefit a 5.1 matching system.

If you are entirely movies, don't worry about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts